The Danube vs. The Vltava

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by MacDude, Sep 18, 2007.

1. MacDude

MacDude Member

I've read two separate guide books* remarking & lamenting on how a lot of foreigners ("even many seasoned travelers") mistakenly believe that Prague is on the Blue Danube.

I'll be honest. I myself did not even know that Prague was on a river, let alone the river's name. :oops: But I also have no idea where "many" people (according the guides) get the idea that the Danube passes through Czechia. I mean, why is the misconception particularly about the Danube? Why don't people think Prague is on some other famous river?

Any clues?

* This is according the Brandt Guides (British-owned company) and Lonely Planet (Australian-owned)

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Well, the Danube passes through Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. Perhaps people were vaguely aware that the Danube passed through the old Czechoslovakia and just mistakenly assumed it would pass through the capital, Prague.

BTW, after seeing the Danube in Bratislava (Blue is a real misnomer), I much prefer the Vltava.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Not only Bratislava, but three other central-european capitals are situated on Danube - Vienna, Budapest and Belgrade. Maybe people just know there is a lot capitals on that river, so why not Prague? ;-)

4. GlennInFlorida

Well, I have to admit that when I first started making plans for my first trip to Prague (I started planning about 9 months early) I looked at a map of Prague, saw the river named Vltava and thought to myself "vleht-A-va, I guess that's how you say Danube in Czech" :lol:

Boy, did I have a lot to learn.

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

We call it “Dunaj”.

6. GlennInFlorida

yes, I know that now.
    Thanks wer.