rohlik recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by djon, Mar 11, 2004.

1. djon

djon New Member

Perhaps Czech folks usually buy rohlik at the bakery, but I do not have that option in the US, and I'd love to surprise my Czech daughter-in-law with some. Oddly enough, it is the thing she most often expresses a craving for. The ones she likes appear to be simple white bread dough flattened out and then rolled into finger rolls, but I cannot seem to duplicate the chewy crust. Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. Eli

Eli Member

Rohliky! Also one of my favorite Czech breads.

Unfortunately, I don't have a receipe and I don't know anyone that does! They're so easy to come by in the Czech Republic that I don't know of anyone who bakes their own.

But, they are tasty little things, and I'd also love to have the receipe if one can be found!

Eli

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I also have never heard of a recipe for rohlík. Never seen one in a cookbook and don't know of anyone who'd ever try to make it at home. Bread (loaf) yes, but not a rohlík. I know it sounds skeptical, sorry!

4. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Hello there Mom-in-law =)

I looked throug my Czechoslovak cookbook (seminal one, i've been told), by Joza Brizova... never having known it, I purchased it four years back and never realized that both my sister-in-law and mom-in-law have similar versions (difft. eds though)

I do not have a rohlik recipe, per se.. what she offers are a recipe called rohliky martinske (filled)... do you want to try the dough that she offers up to try though?
    Let me know....

jana

5. ondrejana

I have found a rohliky recipe online.. if Dana could ever be so kind as to translate it.... this MAY actually work! Good luck; hope that you're able to surprise your daughter-in-law successfully!

Plnene rohliky
    kategorie: pro_alergiky_(bez_vajec_a_mléka)

recept je určen pro 4 osob(y)
    doba přípravy je cca 5Omin

Ingredience:
    3 hrnky polohrubé mouky (1/4 litru),
    1 hrnek mléka (1/4 litru),/ sojového ,nebo rýžoveho/
    25 g čerstvých kvasnic, nebo 7g sušenýh /to je v CA jeden sacek/
    1 čajová lžička pískového cukru,
    1 kavova lžicka soli,
    3 pol. lžíce oleje,
    hladká mouka na posypání válu,
    tuk na vymazání plechu,
    sůl a kmín na posypání rohliků
    Nápln
    20 dkg točeneho salamu
    mužeme přidat i trochu sýru na strouháni

Příprava:
    Z kvasnic, poloviny vlažného mléka, cukru a 1 lžíce mouky připravíme kvásek. K osolené mouce přidáme vykynutý kvásek, zbylé mléko a olej. Vypracujeme tužší těsto a zpracováváme je tak dlouho, až se na povrchu tvoří puchýře. Těsto přikryjeme utěrkou a necháme vykynout. Z vykynutého těsta vyválíme na pomoučeném válu obdélník silný asi 5 mm. Rozdělíme jej na trojúhelníky, na které dame asi lžičku nastrouhaneho toceneho salamu ,ty srolujeme vždy od širší strany ke špičce. Rohlíky můžeme ohnout do tvaru podkovy. Klademe je na tukem vymazaný plech a necháme je ještě chvilku vykynout. Pak je posypeme hrubší solí a kmínem . Pečeme ve vyhřáté troubě asi 4Ominut.

Nápln mužeme podle chuti dokořenit.

6. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I looked to the originating server (www.labuznik.com) and found two more recipes. Good work, ondrejana :)

As the one you found is intended for alergics, contains no milk or eggs, I found and tried to translate the basic one. I am not very good in kitchen terms though, so please excuse any mistakes :)

Just one comment before the recipe itself - it requires "polohrubá mouka", type of flour that is half-way between fine and rough (I hope I use proper terms here...). I am not sure whether you can find matching flour in the States - you'll have to try :)

Rohlíky (po domácku)

recept je určen pro 5 osob(y)
    doba přípravy je cca 1 hodina

Ingredience:
    3 hrnky polohrubé mouky (1/4 litru),
    1 žloutek,
    1 hrnek mléka (1/4 litru),
    25 g čerstvých kvasnic,
    1 čajová lžička pískového cukru,
    špetka soli,
    2 pol. lžíce másla,
    hladká mouka na posypání válu,
    tuk na vymazání plechu,
    1 vejce na potření,
    sůl a kmín na posypání rohlíků

Příprava:
    Z kvasnic, poloviny vlažného mléka, cukru a 1 lžíce mouky připravíme kvásek. K osolené mouce přidáme žloutek, vykynutý kvásek, zbylé mléko a vlahé rozpuštěné máslo. Vypracujeme tužší těsto a zpracováváme je tak dlouho, až se na povrchu tvoří puchýře. Těsto přikryjeme utěrkou a necháme vykynout. Z vykynutého těsta vyválíme na pomoučeném válu obdélník silný asi 5 mm. Rozdělíme jej na trojúhelníky a ty srolujeme vždy od širší strany ke špičce. Rohlíky můžeme ohnout do tvaru podkovy. Klademe je na tukem vymazaný plech a necháme je ještě chvilku vykynout. Pak je potřeme rozšlehaným vejcem, posypeme hrubší solí a kmínem (nebo mákem). Pečeme ve vyhřáté troubě asi 30 minut.

Rohlíky jsou super. Nejlépe je sníst je hned po vychladnutí, než vám je sní někdo jiný.

Rolls (home made)

The amount for 5 people.
    Time to prepare: about 1 hour.
    Ingredients:

3 cups of flour (1 cup = 1/4 litre)
    1 egg yolk
    1 cup of milk
    25 g of fresh yeast
    1 teaspoonful of caster sugar (i. e. the consistence of sand)
    a pinch of salt
    2 spoonfuls of butter
    fine-milled flour to cover the rolling board
    fat to cover the baking sheet
    1 egg, salt and caraway

Method:

Mix yeast, half of the milk (lukewarm), sugar and one spoonful of flour. Salt the rest of flour, add yolk, the yeast-mixture, rest of milk and lukewarm melted butter. Work the tough dough, until it starts having blisters on the surface. Cover the dough with a teacloth and let rise.
    Put the risen dough on rolling board, create a square about 5 mm thick. Cut it to triangles and roll them, always from the long side to the tip. If you want, bend the rolls to form a horseshoe. Place them to the fat-covered sheet and let rise one more moment. Then rub them with beaten egg, (optionally) cover with some rough salt and caraway (or poppy - no salt then).

Bake in a pre-warmed oven for about 30 minutes.

The rolls are great. It is best to eat them just after they get cool, before someone else does.

7. djon

djon New Member

Thank you, everyone!! I'll try the basic recipe this weekend. I think I can find some flour that might work. Zuzana will be pleased, I know, even if they are not quite like home. She loved the dumplings I made, even if they had big holes in them. When I visited Czech R for the first time recently I discovered most people buy those, also. Now if I could figure out how to make Radagast pivo for my son... :D Jana, I'd love to have the filled recipe, too. Again, thank you for the friendly help.

8. ondrejana

Djon,

try purchasing Wondra flour: found in the flour/sugar aisle in markets, and used here in the US for making gravies... it's a rougher texture than just bleached flour.

It's what I believe the majority of Czechs here use to make rohliky and babovka....

And I'll send the recipe in just a few weeks' time.. finishing up my Masters at the moment.

Jana
    PS I won't forget!

9. ondrejana

Making good on my promise for rohlik recipe

Hello there,
    I actually have just found a better recipe out of the Prague Post from last week's issue (written by Evan Rail: Contact erail@praguepost.com)

As follows:

Ingredients:
    3C (700 mL) of flour (Czech kind is best)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 egg yolk
    1C (235 mL) milk
    25 grams of fresh yeast
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tbsp butter, melted
    1 egg, beaten
    Crystal salt, caraway seeds, and poppy seeds (optional)

To Prepare:
    Heat oven to 175 degrees C (350F)

Mix yeast, halfof the milk (at room temp), sugar, and one spoonful of flour in a small bowl.

Combine slt, remaining flour and egg yolk in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture, remianing milk and melted butter. Work dough until it has a rough, bumpy surface. Cover with a teacloth & let rise (about 30 mins).

Once risen, roll out the dough about 5 mm thick (3/16 "). Cut into narrow triangles about 20 cm (8") long, and roll them tightly, starting at the longside and continuining to the tip. (If the tip starts to pull back, moisten the surface with water and press until set).

Place rolls on baking sheet and let rise again for about 10 mins. Brush with beaten egg. Dust with crystal salt and caraway or poppy seeds, if desired.

Bake until lightly browned (20-30 mins).

The journalist himself said that though they've tried this recipe 3x, still does not rival those purchased in any joe-schmoe local potraviny in the Czech Republic. Still though, best of luck to you!

Regards,
    Jana Svitkova