Veselé Vánoce - Merry Christmas!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GlennInFlorida, Dec 24, 2007.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

To all my wonderful friends here in myCzechRepublic - thanks for the friendship, support, and great discussions during the past year. You are all a special part of my life and brighten every one of my days - what a terrific gift!

Hope you all have a super holiday and a spectacular new year.

Glenn

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to all of you!

We have presents already prepared under the tree:

[​IMG]

And this year we have real white Christmas in Kladno:

[​IMG]

3. jen

jen Well-Known Member

The frost is beautiful here in Popovice as well...we have a large "field" of birch trees behind our house and the combination of the white bark and the frost is stunning...

Jezisek is bringing presents to Babi's house tonight, then Santa will visit overnight :)

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I'm with you all the way Glenn. Merry Christmas to all!!
    It's been fun. Another good year. Cheers to all.

And Eso, those are beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
    What a beautiful winter scene.
    And some little lucky person is going to find a krtiček under the tree!

5. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to everybody!
    Přeji všem šťastné a veselé Vánoce!

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, that person is 28 year old ;) But she loves Krtecek :)

7. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

This is our first Christmas in Prague, and the best so far. Thank you to everyone on MyCzechRepublic for all your advice, which certainly helped us settle down here.

8. laylah

laylah Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lovely photos Eso, especially the winter scene with snow - we have rain forecast here in the UK, but that's not too unusual for Christmas here, and at least makes travel easier.(you must know that in the UK when it snows, everything can come to a stop on road and rail!!)
    Best Wishes everyone for a Happy Christmas and stomping good New Year :D

9. GlennInFlorida

here's a photo of my little tree
    [​IMG]

10. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Glenn and everyone,

The boards have been fun and it's been great to see the community grow. Dana and I are glad that we had a chance to meet some of you in person.

Merry Christmas and we wish you all the best in 2008!

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas Everyone. I agree with Glenn, meeting everyone on this board is very fun and although we have never met in person, I still look forward to hearing from you all each day.

I hope you all have a great New Year! May God richly bless you all in the coming year!

Bůh ti žehnej!

Katka

12. scrimshaw

Hi Katko..dzurisova

Not sure about this but maybe God Bless you, could be translated better as..
    Aby Bůh ti (po)žehnal.

Merry christmas to you too!!!!

13. dzurisova

Thanks scrimshaw. I hope you had a great Christmas. When I first joined this site, I asked how to say "God Bless You". Many different translations came back (you can search for the entry) and I settled on "Bůh ti žehnej" because it was Ajik's translation. I know he is very involved in his church in Olomouc and they use this phrase at his church.

14. scrimshaw

Hmmm...Maybe so, but..
    Worth a discussion though.
    When we say God bless you, we are really saying ''May God bless you''. Right?
    Since we cannot really demand that God bless you.

And I think the 'aby' with the past tense construction is like saying...'would that such a thing happen', or 'may it be so that...'

Aby ti Bůh požehnal.... May it be that God bless you.
    Aby ti Bůh žehnal dál....May God continue to bless you.

These are my thoughts, but I could be completely wrong.

Definitely defer to Ajiks translation.

15. dzurisova

Good points, perhaps some Czechs could join the discussion - but then Sova would have to move it to it's own topic. :wink:

16. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Scrimshaw's hypothesis are interesting, but in this case it's more question of tradition than translation. And traditional blessings in Czech are "Bůh vám/ti žehnej" (God bless you) or "S božím požehnáním" (With God's blessing)

17. scrimshaw

Well, like I said, refer to the Ajik and Eso. They are the ones that know. Bůh ti žehnej......I will try to remember that.
    S božím požehnáním.

18. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Dobrý den.
    I also would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. To all of my good friends hear at CZ. Republic have a good 2008 year!

Your friend Jody (The Animal) 8) 8)

Oh, by the way Eso, I loved your outside picture!

19. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Bůh ti žehnej is correct. It is in the imperative form and means "God bless you". Aby ti Bůh požehnal could be used in a sentence such as Přeji ti, aby ti Bůh požehnal. But Katka is right, this is a topic for the language forum.

Happy New Year to everyone! Here's a pic of our Christmas Eve potato salad. ;)

[​IMG]

20. GlennInFlorida