It is really Greek to me

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by alhio, Jan 18, 2008.

1. alhio

alhio Member

I have a line to translate but the second part of it is really over my head. The sentence is:
    "Smyslem dalšího vývoje hospodářských dějin je podle autorova názoru zachovat duchovědný (politický) rozměr hospodářských dějin za současné aplikace, nikoliv však mechanické, nových trendů, metod a přístupů."

"...za současné aplikace, nikoliv však mechanické, nových trendů, metod a přístupů" - this is what I cannot understant.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I don't blame you - it's in quite ugly Czech. And I'm not sure if I understandt it, either, even I'm Czech.
    ..with present application, but not with mechanical/routine (application), with new trends, methods and approaches.

3. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

My attempt:

Smyslem dalšího vývoje hospodářských dějin je podle autorova názoru zachovat jejich duchovědný (politický) rozměr a současně aplikovat (nikoliv však mechanicky) nové trendy, metody a přístupy.

..with applying simultaneously (but not mechanically/routinely) new trends, methods and approaches.

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Wow, what are you reading? Sounds like too advanced Czech even for me.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I have never heard about the word "duchovědný"

Spiritscientical? :wink:

6. alhio

alhio Member

Thank you guys for the help.I really appreciate your quick replies.And it settles me down when I read that Czech native speakers do not fully understand the point :) It is a text recently written by Czech university professor.
    As to the word "duchovědný" I consider it as "humanitarian". For instance, the National museum has "oddíl duchovědný i přírodovědný".

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

You have to read it couple of times ... and you still have no idea what is it about. It is like czech politicians :)

Btw. alhio, I have one question this still in my mind, Загорка is made in Stara or Nova Zagora?

8. alhio

alhio Member

off-topic

@DjAvatar
    The Czech politicians are not the only one who can speak without saying anything. Believe me :)

and Загорка is produced in Stara Zagora. I can even see the chimney from my place. It is curious to know that there are people in Czech republic who know it. And even like it :D

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member