My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

what kind of present to bring to Czech Republic from USA?
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitty46

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 3:51  Reply with quote

I am going to the Czech Republic April 11-20. I would like to bring presents, but don't know what. I realize in this day and age you can order anything from anywhere over the internet, but I still want to bring something. I have heard that sweetened condensed milk, jelly beans, and rootbeer are not available there. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, I am thinking of going to Kunta Hora and spending the night there. Is it better to take the bus or the train? Are accomodations readily available? I hate to make reservations.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
meluzina

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 8:39  Reply with quote

the sweetened condensed milk is available here as far as i know - jelly beans and root beer not - i had a friend who always wanted me to bring log cabin syrup..

as far as a trip to kutna hora, you can take a look here: http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/JRCis.asp?tt=c&p=MF&cl=E5

and see the timetables for buses and trains
Dana

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 10:43  Reply with quote

Sweetened condensed milk is readily available in the Czech Republic. I've seen jelly beans at Culinaria and possibly elsewhere, but it's not commonly found and could be a fun little gift. You may want to read the candy in CZ thread to see if any candy might work as a gift. You'll also run into a rootbeer mention in there.

I could give you a long list of things that my American husband and I regularly have sent or brought from the U.S. but those are not "gifty" things. They're things that we're used to from living in the U.S. but can't find here, such as Dixie Fry, Firehouse barbecue sauce, low-sodium soy sauce, all kinds of spices and spice mixes, decaffeinated black tea, Saran Wrap (the kitchen foil in this country SUCKS!), etc. We once had our Czech friends try McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning and we gave them a small bottle to use at home. They fell absolutely in love with it, put it on all kinds of meat and even on grilled vegetables (we do too) and they now ask us to get more every time they run out.

Regarding Kutná Hora, will you be traveling from Prague? We have some information on Kutná Hora including info on how to get there from Prague on the Day Trips from Prague page. You may be able to find accommodation once you get there, especially in April, which is not a high season. If you don't, you can always come back to Prague. It's an hour away.

Just a technical note: Next time, please post two different questions as two separate topics, so others can easily find both.
Alexx

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 12:03  Reply with quote

kitty46 wrote:
I am going to the Czech Republic April 11-20. I would like to bring presents, but don't know what. I realize in this day and age you can order anything from anywhere over the internet, but I still want to bring something.

There is stuff hard to buy here - books in english. But it depends who is the presentee.

I always consider book as a good gift. And order one book from american e-shop is more expensive than the book itself. I wish I have more time to read books I have at home and did not read them yet.
Dana

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 12:23  Reply with quote

Books in English! Of course, what a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that.
kitty46

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 17:21  Reply with quote

Thank you all, for all the GOOD ideas for gifts. A couple of questions: What do Czechs put the LogCabin syrup on?? I would never have thought of English books? What sort? and perhaps magazines of some kind??? Are Czechs wanting to read things written in English, or just a certain part of the population?
I'll start my Kunta Hora in a different conversation. Sorry about 2 topics in one.
Petr_B

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 17:33  Reply with quote

Czechs who want to read books in English can buy them easily, and they are often not that expensive. Aside from ordering from abroad (Amazon etc.), Czech bookstores (and bigger libraries) often provide selection of books in English, though the offer can be quite limited. I heard in Prague it's much easier to buy them. Of course, you can order books in English over Internet from Czech sites like EnglishBooks.cz (cheap, limited selection, offers favorite "cash on delivery" method of payment) or Amazon.com resellers like BookFayre.cz or Libris.cz.
And as always: buying a book that fits the taste of the person is not easy. Also in order to enjoy a book written in English, one has to have really good knowledge of written English, it's not enjoyable to read with a dictionary (been there, done that). And of course, there's a possibility the person doesn't enjoy reading at all, or on the other hand, if they're avid readers, they could've already read the book which might have been published here in Czech Republic.

All that said, I believe that something really available only in the USA might be a better choice than a book you can obtain without any difficulty, maybe even in Czech language. But I have no idea what that could be, I've never been to the USA myself. Smile
Dana

PostPosted: 24-Feb-08 22:35  Reply with quote

About books... I rarely buy English language books in the Czech Republic because those I want to read are not always available. I have purchased books from Shakespeare and Sons on a few occasions but their selection, although pretty good, is limited. Amazon.com has all the books I may ever want to read and I usually buy my books there, but that means that I have to 1) pay by credit card over the internet, which some Czechs might have a problem with, and 2) am charged for shipping, so it makes more sense to buy several books at a time - again, not everyone will like that. Personally, I love getting books as gifts. Of course, giving a book requires knowing the person you are giving it to. A coffee table book (such as a photo book) might be a safer choice than, say, fiction.
Alexx

PostPosted: 25-Feb-08 6:14  Reply with quote

Sure, I know it is no problem to buy books in english (I do even know kids who read Harry Potter in english because thay cannot wait for translation, which is great), but as you all said, selection is limited.

Advice for a book I just finished: Air Babylon (Letiště Babylon) from Imogen Edwards-Jones. But I read it in czech Sad

You will never fly without thinking about that book again. Wink

Mandatory for Glenn Smile
Alexx

PostPosted: 25-Feb-08 10:57  Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing, bottle of good (californian) wine would be also appreciated, despite it is not a problem to buy one in here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Central & Eastern Europe All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: