My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

what kind of present to bring to Czech Republic from USA?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannae

PostPosted: 25-Feb-08 12:50  Reply with quote

Well, I would ask who are you bringing presents to? It might make a huge difference.

I believe a nice California wine is a good idea, the book too etc. but if your friends have kids, they might like something like a mp3 player or so ... Depends; I would say to be more specific.
kitty46

PostPosted: 25-Feb-08 19:20  Reply with quote

Thanks for all your GOOD ideas.
I also appreciated learning about Culinaria. Think I'll stop in there.
I think I've got the presents covered now.
kitty46

PostPosted: 28-Feb-08 22:18  Reply with quote

Just thought you might like to know...I have decided on Saran wrap and heavy duty aluminum foil as I think they are unique. I will also bring rootbeer and jelly beans. Thanks for all the good tips.
Dana

PostPosted: 28-Feb-08 23:06  Reply with quote

Those are great choices. I can't believe you decided on Saran wrap and aluminum foil! Very Happy Seriously, I get so frustrated with using Czech bought "Saran wrap" that I'd love to just burn it each time! The flimsy, paper-thin aluminum foil is not much better. The term "heavy-duty" is practically unknown in this country... Which makes me think of another item you may want to throw into the gift package: garbage bags. Wink
kitty46

PostPosted: 29-Feb-08 2:33  Reply with quote

Garbage bags? REALLY???? What size???? If you are located in Prague and want to stop by the hotel, I can bring you some things too Very Happy
jen

PostPosted: 29-Feb-08 7:35  Reply with quote

As far as gifts go, I think that things related to where you're from are ideal - whatever the local speciality is, for example, or a special type of craft...
Dana

PostPosted: 29-Feb-08 7:44  Reply with quote

Haha, the garbage bags were a joke but we've certainly had our share of frustration with them here. The majority of those that can be bought here are thin and tear easily, which is the last thing you want with a garbage bag. It's hard to find ones that are sturdy and when you finally find some, you may not be able to find them again the next time you need them. Life is a permanent adventure here. Smile

It's really thoughtful of you to offer to bring some things for us but please don't worry about that! We have care packages mailed every so often, plus we stock up on things every time we visit the U.S. It's funny to explain to the airport checkin people that the big cardboard box we're checking contains dishwashing brushes, freezer bags, corn flour... They don't understand.
PGN

PostPosted: 29-Feb-08 7:56  Reply with quote

You may want to take over a good barely used laptop (dual voltage). To give as a present.
meluzina

PostPosted: 29-Feb-08 8:00  Reply with quote

PGN wrote:
You may want to take over a good barely used laptop (dual voltage). To give as a present.

there could be a problem with this type of gift -- unless you purchase the czehc version of the os, it might not be suitable for people who have limtied english skills
dzurisova

PostPosted: 03-Mar-08 18:09  Reply with quote

I recently had a discussion with some one on this board that peanut butter and maple syrup are hard to come by there. Perhaps you could bring jelly and a loaf of white bread and make them an all American peanut-butter/jelly sandwich. Also, they don't have American pancakes so maybe some pancake mix as well. Perhaps you could even cook the person an American breakfast. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Central & Eastern Europe All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: