My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

what kind of present to bring to Czech Republic from USA?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexx

PostPosted: 03-Mar-08 18:25  Reply with quote

dzurisova wrote:
I recently had a discussion with some one on this board that peanut butter and maple syrup are hard to come by there.

Oh my... it was me Smile. But still, my opinion on peanut butter is hard to be changed. I just do not like it.
kitty46

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 4:40  Reply with quote

Is this correct that there is no peanut butter in Czech Republic???
I am going to drive airport security absolutely nuts!!! Rolling Eyes
Alexx

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 5:46  Reply with quote

kitty46 wrote:
Is this correct that there is no peanut butter in Czech Republic???
I am going to drive airport security absolutely nuts!!! Rolling Eyes

I guess maybe somewhere in Prague...
meluzina

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 5:58  Reply with quote

i've seen peanut butter here (and i'm not in prague) - can't tell you where though as i'm not really a fan of it either but a friend bought it to try (they didn't like it either) makes me wonder whether it's something to do with tastebuds that are inherited and czech tastebuds just don't like peanut butter, irregardless of where they are born? Very Happy

- i will take a look next time i am out shopping

as far as the pancakes are concerned, aren't czech lívance more or less the same? just that they aren't served with syrup traditionally - except for that one friend of mine who always wanted the log cabin syrup Very Happy

the issue with aluminium foil is true - but the garbage bags i'm not sure - i've purchased garbage bags to plant tomatoes in and they held up well even standing outside in the sun all summer...
Dana

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 9:55  Reply with quote

We buy peanut butter in Prague on a regular basis. You can find it at Tesco, Country Life and other places. We buy the natural kind. There's also Skippy and some other U.S. brands. I don't know a single Czech person who likes it. My guess is that the salt puts people off. Czechs are used to Nugeta or Nutella, which are sweet. Hey, maybe you could make your Czech friends a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and offer some rootbeer to go with it. Wink

meluzina wrote:
as far as the pancakes are concerned, aren't czech lívance more or less the same?

They're not really the same. Both the consistency and taste are a little different. Culinaria used to carry Aunt Jemima and now they have Bisquick. I haven't seen U.S. pancake mix anywhere else. I think Czechs would be much more open to pancakes with maple syrup than a PB&J sandwich.

meluzina wrote:
i've purchased garbage bags to plant tomatoes in and they held up well even standing outside in the sun all summer...

There's one kind of garbage bags that are really nice and sturdy. I forget the brand name now - they're blue. The problem is that we can only find them at Tesco, which requires a special trip for us, and Tesco is out of them half of the time. You just can't rely on finding your favorite products on the shelves every time, even trivial stuff like dish soap or dental floss. Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't...
stepan

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 15:30  Reply with quote

Quote:
There's one kind of garbage bags that are really nice and sturdy. I forget the brand name now - they're blue.

Here, blue bags are used only for recycling.
jen

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 18:51  Reply with quote

Dana wrote:
meluzina wrote:
as far as the pancakes are concerned, aren't czech lívance more or less the same?

They're not really the same. Both the consistency and taste are a little different. Culinaria used to carry Aunt Jemima and now they have Bisquick. I haven't seen U.S. pancake mix anywhere else. I think Czechs would be much more open to pancakes with maple syrup than a PB&J sandwich.

When I first moved here, there was no packaged pancake mix of any kind available, so I quickly learned to make them from scratch. When I finally had the opportunity to pick up a rather large quantity of Bisquick from an American family that was moving back to the US, I was shocked and amazed at how nasty the pancakes (and biscuits) made from it tasted now that I was used to making them fresh! It's funny what you get used to, and un-used to!

I will never, ever use Bisquick again. However, root beer still rocks Smile Oh, and my Czech-American son adores PB&J, and has even converted some of his Czech friends at school, as he takes it often for svačina Smile
dzurisova

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 19:39  Reply with quote

Many people don't realize that pancake mix has a short shelf life. As most people don't make pancakes often, they usually keep the mix longer than the actual shelf life. Expired pancakes are what taste awful. Smile
jen

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 20:01  Reply with quote

That's true, and I'm sure that's what was wrong with mine...I think it was a sign - I like making them from scratch now - I feel like I have more control over what I'm putting in them - I may not know where all of the ingredients come from specifically, but I know that all there is in there is flour, eggs (from a neighbor), milk (also from a neighbor), butter and some baking powder - no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives - and it's really not that much harder than using Bisquick Smile

Besides, I cannot bring myself to pay Culinaria prices for things like that!
PGN

PostPosted: 04-Mar-08 20:03  Reply with quote

In 92 Peanut Butter and Wonder Bread was the biggie, we used to drive to Army Commissary in Vilseck.

Now we have Nutella and panera bread, the PB & WB has never been in this house.

It's all about location Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Central & Eastern Europe All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: