Is there American Pizza Shops in the Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by cfxs369, Feb 26, 2008.

1. cfxs369

cfxs369 New Member

Are there American Pizza Shops in the Czech Republic? If so which ones? and which are the best to eat?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Mary,

Do you mean places like Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc.? There used to be Pizza Hut in Prague but I'm not sure if they're still around. Domino's is not here, Papa John's isn't either. I can't think of others right now. If you're asking about deep dish pizza, that is not common in the Czech Republic. So I guess the answer is no.

Dana

3. cfxs369

cfxs369 New Member

thanks for the information. Pizza Hut is one that I was looking for. I have this school project: The scenario is that I am small business person in America and I want to open a pizza shop in the Czech Republic. The case study says that my family is from Prague and I want to open my business there. So what I have been trying to do is find out everything I can about Czech Culture and doing business in the Czech Republic.

Thanks for all your help!

Mary

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

You could always try to open a deep dish pizza shop, advertise it as something uniquely American and see if you get people interested. There's a lot of Italian style pizza in the Czech Republic, so you may want to try something different to ... differentiate yourself. :)

5. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

There was a "New York Pizza Shop" that had really good pizza right before you crossed the Charles Bridge from the Mala Strana side of the river. It was a tourist attraction but it was the closest thing that we had for "drive through" fast food, eat on the run type food before we would get over across the river for some beer cheese and good local restaurants.

There is also a really good American stlye pizza shop in Cheb.

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

How about Bar-B-Que? (not barbeque pizza - ugh! - but real Southern, Texas, or Memphis style barbeque)

8. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Dana, Now that I think about it, I think that it was Chicago, not New York pizza.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Could someone explain for us who have never been to the US, what is difference between normal barbeque and southern, texas or memphis style barbeque, between Chicago and NY pizza?

(samples to be send to my home address I give you via private message ;-))

10. GlennInFlorida

take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbeque

it seems to be fairly accurate.

There are a thousand (well, maybe I exaggerate) different ways to make barbeque and everyone thinks theirs is the best. As for me, I pretty much like them all. :)

I'll let someone else talk about pizza - I'm not an aficionado.

11. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

The best analogy would be Pivo....

Each beer has the same base ingredients yet by using additional brand specific ingredients or methods of Brewing, the end products are different.

FWIW, the best McDonalds in the world is in the Czech Republic........

Only place where you can order a McDonalds' hamburger, fries, and a Czech Beer :wink:

12. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

That's the language I speak :).

13. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Me too :wink:

Czech Pivo is the only beer that I drink.

14. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

What is "normal barbeque"? I think what Glenn had in mind was the real stuff. The amazing, smoky, lick-your-fingers barbeque that you can find in Texas and elsewhere in the southern states. Served with onions, huge pickles and beer. The secret is the barbeque sauce. You simply cannot find barbeque sauce like that in the stores, especially not in the Czech Republic.

Chicago-style pizza is not a flat "placka" like the typical Italian kind. The dough is placed into a pan and stuffed with the filling. That's pretty much all I can say because I don't like this kind of pizza. More on Wikipedia.

I don't know what a New York pizza is.

15. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

That's a good question. When I returned from Africa, I did my first cross country drive from Pittsburgh to California. I stopped by "The Original Texas Barbeque" off of I-40 in Texas.....I wasn't impressed :cry:

I think Glenn should buy all of us plane tickets to his house and then he should show us what the real deal is.

All in favor say aye. :lol:

To the best of my knowledge, NY style is square with a thick crust, Brooklyn is round and paper thin........

But then again, I'm left handed so my perception of reality could be totally left field. :wink:

16. GlennInFlorida

Just as soon as I win the Lotto, I will! :wink:

17. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Czech :wink:

18. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I would say that ONLY Czech beer can be called beer (maybe some German too) :wink:. In US I tried BudLight and some others but it tasted like a mix of hops and barley ....... horrrrrrrible.

19. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Aye, aye captain :!:

Well, the term "real" is very relative. Relative to the place you live and to the things you are used to.

Some people might love "southern US style barbecue", some like made it differently.

And if we look at this term from the global view; Glenn mentioned Wikipedia; so on the bottom of his link there is a section "see also" and just for instance one of those is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asado . Since I grew up in Argentina, I can honestly say, that their asado (or also called parilla) is the best in the whole world. Because of the way the cattle is being raised, because of the way they make it etc. But this is only my opinion ...

Just btw: Argentina is probably one of few countries you can make "hovezi rizek" (could be said like beef finger) at the result is excellent.

However somebody raised in Texas will fight to death stating that only Texas barbecue is the best. Simply because he/she likes it the most and this is o.k. - everybody has the right to have it own preference.

20. GlennInFlorida

Well, to me "asado" or "a la parilla" and barbeque are two different things. Like the Australian "barbie", they are what I would call grilling (the verb) or grilled (the adjective). Spanish usage here would equate asado with roasted (perhaps even on a spit). All of them are great - I had a chance to get some real Argintine beef in Madrid (imported) and it was absolutely wonderful -yum!