Your Favorite Cheese

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Yerusalyim, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

I ran into a lot of good cheese in Czech. The WORST was a cheese made like spaghette...stings of cheese...VERY SALTY...yuck. What's it called? Anyone?

At a pub I had a feta cheese that was covered with a hot pepper sauce and had a hot pepper off to the side served with a slice of bread...ABSOLUTELY AWESOME with a good beer.

2. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

its "korbáčik" - means little scourge in slovakian. sometimes offered smoked(which i like :D)

I prefer "Balkán" or "jádel" made of sheep milk- non of those smels like "real" sheese so I dont mind eating them..

btw: visiting cheese fair in Holland was one of my worst experience ever..

3. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

There is a beer cheese that you'create' at the bar by mixing ingredients including beer that makes it into a paste.

Pretty good with beer.

4. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

As A child, my father's favorite cheese was "Olomocky Sirecky" (not sure of spelling) - They stunk to high heaven, but with soem good Czech Rye bread, butter and a bottle of beer - nothing better. I have not found them in grocery stores here - I believe we ahd to get the cheese at a specialty store.

AH - memories of my youth - thye get refreshed here every so often.

GLENN IN FLORIDA - we are going to FL this Saturday - visiting Mouse-land - will be in Kissimmee for the week.

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Looks like you should have a pretty good week for it - no rain forecast until maybe next Wednesday - highs in the low 80's, lows in the 60's. There is a nice little Slovak/Czech/European restaurant in Winter Park (just north and adjacent to Orlando - a short ride from Kissimmee) called "Chef Henry's" 3716 Howell Branch Rd, Winter Park, FL 32792 (407) 657-2230
    or
    http://www.chefhenryscafe.com/

Enjoy the Mouse!

6. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Glenn - Sounds great - I may try it. You should come up and we'll all go to dinner there.

However, they do not have a few things on the menu that I love - Capr na cerno, Segedin Gulas, Spanelsky Ptacky, Gulas, Gulas Polevka (please excuse the spelling)

7. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Egad, I don't know how anyone can get past the smell of Olomouc cheese to actually eat it. Of course, hearing how it's made didn't make we want to even try! :shock: If I hadn't read about it in advance, though, I might have plugged my nose and taken a bite.

I wish I could remember the name of the spreadable cheese I used to buy at Tesco -- it was excellent.

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I second this. :wink:

Could you describe it a little more?

9. zavorka

zavorka Well-Known Member

Hello,
    that restaurant looks like a nice place to have a meal!
    but... all those foods can be made at home!
    instead, cheese Olomoucky is a must... stare' sirecky!!!!
    I would go with with the rye bread and beer!!!!!
    There are czech cheese/milk companies that could be interested in delivery to EU, I can't say about non-EU countries, but will ask.
    My origin is czech, from mother side, and one of the places I remember is tha train station in Teplce where I was sent to buy a half litre beer in a emailed pot. And the Wine-Prague trian windebona, with the restaurant vagon...
    Looking to read your post
    ciao
    Miro

10. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

If the Olomouc cheese is the stuff that they make in Loštice, a few miles up the road from Olomouc, then it is delicious :) . I spent a very pleasant (and long) lunchtime with friends in a restaurant in the village and the meal (and cheese) was excellent.

11. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

An old guy down the street from us while growing up used to offer to pay 5 korun if we ate Olomocky Sirecky. Oh yeah and Hungarian hot peppers. I swear he was a closet sadist, because he seemed to get a huge kick out of it, but we were in middle school and it was easy money :p
    As for cheese I like …. Almost any kind from goat or sheep milk. That braided salty one mentioned in first post …. Omg I used to love those.