Does Elvis have Czech Ancestry?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by gypzy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

I thought I once read that Elvis is part Czech. Is that true?

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I've never heard about it. At least if you mean Elvis Presley.

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

from the web:

Elvis Presley was a distinctly American mixture of several ethnic groups, including: Scottish, Jewish, Cherokee, and possible German ancestry. Recent archival research throws new light on Presley's ancestry. According to the German and American genealogical researchers, the singer's oldest known relative was the German vinedresser, Valentin Pressler (1669-1736), who lived in Niederhochstadt, Rhineland-Palatinate, married Anna Christina Frank and had four children (two daughters and two sons). He immigrated, together with his family, in 1709/10 to Maryland and died in St. Stephen's Parish, Cecil County. His first son Andreas was born in 1701 and moved to Ohio or Indiana. His second son Anton married and settled in North Carolina and changed his named first to Preslar, later to Presley. One of Andreas Pressler's sons also changed his name to Andrew Presley. He is the direct ancestor of Elvis Presley.

of course, as always, never completely trust any info you get only on the internet

4. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Thank you Glenn,

I had heard about the Scottish, Cherokee and Jewish. I even heard that, according to Ancestry.com, he is related to Oprah. Now they don't have that detailed page anymore.

5. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

I heard his surname derives from the Preseli mountains in area I live in in wales, Pembrokeshire. The Preselli mountains are where the blue stone for Stonehenge in Somerset came from.

6. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Even having read all this, I feel certain he was Czech.