Getting to Andel's Hotel

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Angela_O, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Angela_O

Angela_O Member

Hi! When I arrive at the Prague airport, which is the best way to get to the Andels Hotel? On their website, they say that there is an underground station as well as bus and tram stops right outside.
    I saw on this site that there is mention of getting on the 100 bus to Zličín metro station , then taking a metro to the "Anděl - Smíchov District". Is that the best way to go? I need the simplest route possible, as I have never lived in an area with busses or subways. If anyone could offer some tips, I would very much appreciate it.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

The very best way is going by taxi, but it is expensive. Going by bus 100 to Zličín is easy as well, as Zličín is terminal station.

All possible options (using public transport) of transport from the Airport to the city center are here:

http://www.prg.aero/pic/do_mhd_2/SCH_METRO_ke_kapitole_5.gif

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Being from Tampa, I feel your pain. :wink:

Once you get used to them (and that will be very quick), you will love them. Be sure to get a multi-day pass (look at Prague Guide - How to get around on this site) that you can use on buses, trams, subways, and on the funicular (cable car) up to Petrin Hill. You will love the public transportation in Prague and wonder why in the world we can't do something like that here.

BTW - Anděl means angel and is pronounced sort of like ahnd-yell.

Have a great trip! :D

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

And now imagine how complicated it is for us used to area with buses trams and subways (Europe in one word ;-)), to get used to area like the US/Florida/Tampa :).
    But to be serious - I do not know about Tampa, but as I know, in Miami public transport system works pretty well, doesn't it? I remember my brother being amazed by ticket prices of bus from Miami to Marathon (or Key West or somewhere down there), more than 100 miles, for some $1,5 or so, last year.

This is what Prague and London have in common - Angel metro station :) - you can compare them too as going to both London and Prague.

5. GlennInFlorida

ummm...

a ticket on Greyhound Bus from Miami to Key West (160 miles) is $39 one way - Miami does have a little better Public Transport the we do here in Tampa, but not much better.

6. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Depends what you consider as expensive. From airport to Anděl by taxi would cost 500-600 CZK (40 USD), with heavy or numerous luggage or in the night I would prefer this.
    By bus it would cost 26 CZK (1,5 USD)/person + 13 CZK (bigger suitcase) and take about 40-50 min. with transfer.

7. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

8. Angela_O

Angela_O Member

Thank you all for the information!

DjAvatar, I admire you all who so easily adapt here in the States with our often poor or nonexistant public transportation system, especially the fact that you can speak and read multiple languages. Sadly, I only speak English, and I'm a bit nervous about communicating in the C.R.

Glenn, Hi! I really do look forward to riding on the metro. I guess it's kind of silly for a woman to be so excited about such a simple thing, but it is something new to me. And thank you for the pronunciation! I can actually say that one. My first Czech word! :lol: How do I say "Hotel"?

Karel_lerak, Thank you! My plane doesn't get in until around 7:00 p.m., so I think I'll take your advice on a taxi. Thank you for the link to a reputable taxi company. I hate to spend so much extra, but I'll feel safer and more at ease. I'll do my learning with metros and busses during the daylight hours.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hotel is "Hotel" in czech as well.

Ho - like "ho" in hop, horse
    tel - like "tell"

7 pm is not that late, especially during summer. But when going by taxi, have some czech krowns prepared (withdraw some "not rounded" amount, like 5800 CZK instead of 6000, to have smaller notes, from ATM in the airport) to hand them, when they will see you are first time in Prague, trying to pay in USD, the may ask for much more than usual fare.

Btw, if you go to London first, you will be well prepared for Prague :) (see www.tfl.gov.uk for transport systems in London)

I've been riding in Metro in London, Paris, Barcelona, Vienna, Kiev, Prague, Istanbul and Ankara, but I still kind of enjoy it.

10. GlennInFlorida

a couple of good, quick resources:

"In-Flight Czech", a CD with a little booklet that will give you an introduction to basic phrases and pronunciation - Borders or Barnes & Nobles should have it.

"Lonely Planet Czech Phrasebook" - well organized and easy to read

I understand - riding the Metro (and the Trams) is still a treat for me. :D

11. Angela_O

Angela_O Member

Hi all!!
    Prague was absolutely glorious! I have never experienced any place that was so beautiful that I almost cried, but the view over the city from the castle did me in.
    I ended up taking a taxi from and to the airport, and I'm glad I did. There were times when the escalators for the Metro just decided to stop completely. I had a taste of lugging my very heavy bags up and down stairs in the London Tube, and it was not pleasant!
    I paid 560 K from the airport to the Andel's, and then the motel car charged me a pre-established 700 K to take me back to the airport. The Andel's was perfect for me. I had the Tesco and the Andel's Metro right there, and I ate at Corleone's which was just one street over daily. I fell in love with a little tomato/cucumber/red pepper/Balkan cheese salad that they served, not to mention the pints of "Zlatopramen".
    I cannot wait to return to Prague! Thank you all for the advice and reassurances you offerered prior to my trip. I felt completely safe as a solo female, and everyone was just as nice as they could be. :D

12. GlennInFlorida

So happy you had a wonderful time (knew you would) - best wishes for your plans for a return trip! :D

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Thanks Angela for your input. I am really glad you felt comfortable and safe and you enjoed your trip.

Btw. - you/she are/is the ultimate proof we were right and Dave O'D. was NOT :lol: