favorite Czech food

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by ta, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ta

ta Well-Known Member

I would have to say BRAMBORAKY!!! I love them sooo much :p

Do you guys remember (or maybe some people indulge in it) bread slice spread with lard and "skvarky"???? Hmmm...not exactly the Jenny Craig diet, right???

2. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

"skvarky" - haven't thought about them in YEARS. OH - a good rye bread, lard, skvarky and salt - and some beer. A food that would take a cardiologist to an early grave - along with everyone that ate it. But it was so good. Everything in moderation is the answer.

My wife never lets me bring LARD into the house. I use to use it when I made "Strudel", but when she found out, I had to substitute - oil works, but, I don't believe it gives the elasticity that lard does.

3. ta

ta Well-Known Member

Hi Stepan,

So lard for Strudel??? That's interesting! I don't think food can get anymore sinful than that, right? :p

I also miss the old-fashioned "spekacky"(type of sausage)!!!! I recently wrote a story about this on my website and had a good laugh about it too...Just to explain a little, I tried to recreate the Czech "taborak" environment at our home fireplace, here in the US, and it didn't go quite the way I imagined it would....

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Škvarky are best when fresh made and eaten while still warm (with fresh rye bread and pickld red beets)!!!

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

And definitely, one cannot make the right dough for "tažený štrůdl" without lard.

6. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Whats is unhealthy on "škvarky" and "vepřové sádlo"? I ususaly make sorties to fridge for em and combinate them with "smetana ke šlehání" and my BMI is still where it should be..
    You dont no how great they taste after 100km bike trip:)

7. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I miss REAL czech rye bread. The stuff here in the States just does not compare.

8. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Amen to that. When I was growing up in upstate New York, the Tomiska's had a bakery that made the real stuff. Since then the bakery has been sold two or three times and the bread is lost forver.

Oh, how I miss those big round loaves that we cut in half then sliced anc covered with lard salt and skvarky. I can almost taste it in my mouth as I write this.

9. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

Maybe someone could do agallery of traditional czech foods I'd like that to work up an appetite before I arrive in Prague.
    I soooooooooo cannot wait.

10. Irena M

Skvarky sounds delicious, also topinky with lots of fresh garlic. :)

11. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

Haha, a friend of mine accidently ordered that in a bar once! She didn't quite understand the description on the menu, but she knew it was bread with something on it, and ordered it. When we bit in, I won't say it was a pleasant surprise. :? At our table full of perhaps 15 international students, we couldn't give it away either.

12. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

We would say: "Nevíte, co je dobré" 8)
    You dont know what is good.

13. ta

ta Well-Known Member

But after you add about 40 cloves of garlic (no more and no less) on your toast and spread some butter on it, you also have to drizzle it with Maggi (soy sauce)!!!! Soy sauce is a neccessity.. :wink:

14. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I wish that some bakery here in the US could make the great bread I had from the Tomiska Bakery. American bread is - well - BLAH - even the healthy stuff is BLAH.

15. Irena M

I haven't found one yet. :(
    White bread is just fluff. That's not bread.

16. asmithnc

asmithnc Member

All I can say is that I LOVE the Czech food. After two weeks I am still tring new foods. Last night I went out with some locals in Kuřim and had pig knee. Oh, so good..... I want more.

17. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Maggi isn't soy sauce! I admit that soy sauce is probably the nearest to it but Maggi is much more delicate. I'm a big fan and put it on all sorts of things. For example, I'm into turkey wings at the moment (good on Atkins :wink: ) and put Maggi on them instead of salt before I cook them. And when I'm not Atkins-ing, I like it on spaghetti, just on it own.

18. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

YES Maggi is MORE than soy sauce. It is like comparing a fine bordeaux wine with an Argentian wine. No comparison.

My mother used Maggi a lot and for a while I could notfind it, so I used soy sauce. However, I now can get it where I shop, so I use it all the time.

In fact, it is time to get another bottle since I used the last bit up earlier this week making some meatloaf.

19. eso

eso Well-Known Member

For start, there is no soy in Maggi :)

20. Irena M

Since we're on the subject of food, does anyone know where can I find "Podravka"? It says "Prisada do jidel, sypky korenici pripravek".
    I don't have Czech punctuation on my email, I hope you know what I'm looking for. :oops:

Thanks!