My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Supermarkets in Prague
Go to page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anna683

PostPosted: 20-May-08 8:07  Reply with quote

Does anyone know where the good supermarkets are located in Prague? Apart from Tesco on Národní třída, are there any others with a good range?
wissy

PostPosted: 20-May-08 8:59  Reply with quote

We used the Carrefour alot at Slavia in Prague 10 on the 20 and 22 tram route. We always got what we wanted and found things a bit cheaper there than the other supermarkets closer to the centre.
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 20-May-08 10:54  Reply with quote

There is a Tesco (used to be Carrefour) in the shopping center at Anděl (at least it was there last time I was) - it is bigger and nicer than the one you mentioned. Very close to Metro and tram stops.
Alexx

PostPosted: 20-May-08 15:58  Reply with quote

It is similar as in all big cities in Europe (Paris, London) almost none or small grocery stores in the very centers* (historic centers) of cities - smaller supermarkets all around, and big hypermarkets on suburbs. (Zličín, Černý Most...).

*) I remember it took me like 15 minutes to find grocery store close to Eiffel Tower in Paris. And even after I found one, I was amazed by prices - cheapest coke for €1,5 for 1,5l bottle (while normal price was around €0,5).

Last edited by Alexx on 21-May-08 13:14; edited 1 time in total
Anna683

PostPosted: 21-May-08 9:39  Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm keen to find good supermarkets/grocers with a nice range of fruit/vegetables in the centre (especially Prague 1, but also Prague 2 or Prague 3). When I visited last, Tesco was the only one that I could see, though I didn't look for others once I'd found it.
Polednikova

PostPosted: 23-May-08 12:32  Reply with quote

The Tesco at Narodni Trida is probably the worst example - the fruit and veg in particular, isn't up to much and it's very cramped. As Glenn said, the one at Anděl or Nový Smíchov is much better, as is the one at Eden.

Personally, I now reckon I spend more money at Tesco, not only because prices are going up in general, but also because they have so many lines that I always end up buying things I don't really need! So I have started going to Billa - there's a new one at Vysočany, or there's Prosek. They're a bit further out but I think they're nicer.

And although most ex-pats here criticise Albert, there's a new one at Florenc that I think is very nice.
Alexx

PostPosted: 23-May-08 17:21  Reply with quote

Polednikova wrote:
And although most ex-pats here criticise Albert, there's a new one at Florenc that I think is very nice.

What I heard from czech expats in London, they usually criticese Lidl, and prefer ASDA. Sry for OT.

2011 - Israel&Jordan, DC&Philly&NYC, Morroco, Iceland, Malaysia&Indonesia; Iraq
2012 - Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Florida, Emirates, Hawaii
jen

PostPosted: 24-May-08 18:11  Reply with quote

Anna683 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm keen to find good supermarkets/grocers with a nice range of fruit/vegetables in the centre (especially Prague 1, but also Prague 2 or Prague 3). When I visited last, Tesco was the only one that I could see, though I didn't look for others once I'd found it.

When I lived in Prague, I was never particularly impressed with Tesco's fruit and veg...and now that I live outside the city, I'm not particularly impressed with Hypernova's fruit and veg. You're better off buying fresh produce at a Vietnamese produce stand....
Suniskys

PostPosted: 25-May-08 3:36  Reply with quote

When we were there we did a lot of shopping at Billa and found it great. The one we went to is in Praha 3, just off the 133 bus.
kitkit

PostPosted: 12-Jun-08 9:02  Reply with quote

Tesco at Eden is good. They normally have fresh veggies. The nearest supermarket for me is Hypernova. They're more pricey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Food & Drink All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: