Pronunciation : babi

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by percyus, Jul 18, 2008.

1. percyus

percyus New Member

I am seeking a word other than "Babicka" that grandchildren can use to address their grandmother. "Stara mama" was suggested, but this seems too cumbersome. I came across "babi", which seems like the suitable word, but I'm not sure of the proper pronunciation.

Is "babi" a suitable word, or is there a better word to use? Is "babi pronounced more like bu-bie or more like bah-bie, or is it pronounced otherwise? Sorry, I don't know how to use symbols.

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I was waiting for a Czech to reply - after only 18 months in Prague, what do I know?! But I have definitely heard babi on trams - my fail safe check for whether a word is current Czech as it is actually spoken! And I think it's babi, short a and i.

3. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

I had hard time to imagine how to pronounce "bu-bie" or "bah-bie" but pronunciation of "babi" should be: "ba" as banana and "bi" as in dustbin - and if you connect this two sounds/ i guess/ you get something close enough to original "babi" - sorry for crappy explanation but this was first words with similar sounds i found in my mind...

"Stará máma" - I would never use it.. especialy not to call my babička.. sounds horrible
    Babi is the best way and i use it all the time..

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

My husband's grandchildren call me babi. But they pronounce it like Bobby. He taught them to call me that and he's czech so I assume it's the proper way. However, perhaps is more like the ba in banana and my husband just didn't want to take the time to teach it exactly correct - given that the grandchildren don't speak czech.

5. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Or maybe i just cannot prounounce "banana" correctly:)

6. dzurisova

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

"babi" is common.

"Stara mama" is grandmother in Slovak.

8. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Then i WAS wrong.. it sounds more like "B´nána"..

9. dzurisova

Now that just confuses it further. What the heck does B'nána" sound like? :)

10. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

In the song you posted - i clearly hear no A sound after the fisrt B in word banana...

btw: do you know that the second link is exactly the same as the first one?;)

11. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Quite right. B'nána is just how I would say it.

12. dzurisova

Sorry, let me try again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb7NCENRkrA

ok, at about 30 seconds she starts talking about bobby brown.

13. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

The syllables [ba] and [bi] are so simple, so basic in the whole world that I am amazed some persons have problems pronouncing them.

14. szkott

szkott Member

I have a question about how to pronounce babička.

is it

1) "ba beech ka" or
    2) "ba bitch ka"?

(sorry about the b-word in the 2. example, but it's the only way I could get the sound right)

and by "beech" I mean a shorter "ee" sound than is typical in English (not í).

when my son says it, it sounds like 2., but when my niece says it, it sounds more like 1.

I have a hard time distinguishing "a" and "á" usually, but not i and í - except sometimes the "i" sounds very short like in "dustbin" and other times not so short...

I guess my question is: Is the Czech "i" simply a quickly spoken "í"? Or is it a completely different sound as in English (AmE, at least)?

15. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

There are (at least) two I's in the Czech pronounciation. Generally I is a close front vowel (see Wiki - IPA), but the long í is more close and front than the short i (compare dík vs. ty). It depends also on the adjacent consonants. Finally there are some regional differences (Prague, Brno, ...).

I should say: BAH-bitch-kah.

16. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

For me, the Czech /i/ is similar to the same vowel in French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc. The difference is that it can be punctual or long [i:]. English has no similar /i/. Compare the vowels of bit and beet in English with those of bit and bít in Czech. :)

17. Swordslayer

Swordslayer Well-Known Member