USA is truly blessed

Chitchat or discuss topics unrelated to the Czech Republic or Central & Eastern Europe.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, My Czech Republic

AxeZ

Postby AxeZ » 18-Oct-08 21:34

MK wrote:
Anyway I think that Czechs are more weighty every year.

Heh, lot of beer tend to do that to you..:)
\x56 \x6f \x6a \x76 \x6f \x64 \x69 \x6e \x61
\x52 \x65 \x70 \x75 \x62 \x6c \x69 \x6b \x61
Sova

Postby Sova » 20-Oct-08 15:12

MK wrote:Anyway I think that Czechs are more weighty every year. It goes slowly but the trend is here.

Yes, that was the only point I was trying to make. I don't think that Czechs or other Europeans can compare with Americans in terms of obesity yet, but the gap seems to be narrowing.
AxeZ

Postby AxeZ » 23-Oct-08 8:47

I find this interesting

http://www.aneki.com/overweight.html

GlennInFlorida

Postby GlennInFlorida » 23-Oct-08 13:30

interesting list...

my understanding is that "overweight" is a broad term that includes everything from minimal extra weight to obese to morbidly obese. I would like to see how those numbers break down - bet the US ranks much higher when results take the extent of overweight into account.

BTW - I'm not helping our statistics much, although I have lost a bit in the past month or so :wink:
"Life is a banquet... and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame
pedro1974

Postby pedro1974 » 24-Oct-08 11:52

Sova wrote:
MK wrote:Anyway I think that Czechs are more weighty every year. It goes slowly but the trend is here.

Yes, that was the only point I was trying to make. I don't think that Czechs or other Europeans can compare with Americans in terms of obesity yet, but the gap seems to be narrowing.

maybe cause of the global economy?
we all live near a mcdon... restaurant (damn smell!) or a similar stuff, we all drink some ipercaloric coloured drink instead of natural water.

usa exported the "democracy" (with bombs) and their brands, cocx colx, mcdonxxx...

to be honest I find the czech people even more fit than italians.
I lived in brno and trebic, not in prague and especially the youngsters seem to be more athletic.
using bike, walking, cottage life...

in italy we know the "mediterranean diet" is the healthiest, but I dont agree with it.
oil, pasta, bread, wine...how could be dietetic?

what about the vegetables and the meat?
do you really believe are "naturals"?

ogm rules the green market and drugs are used for animals.

obesity is a natural result of these system, everywhere
Sova

Postby Sova » 24-Oct-08 23:04

pedro1974 wrote:usa exported the "democracy" (with bombs) and their brands, cocx colx, mcdonxxx...

I'm sure some of this trend is due to American exports of junk food, but I'm not convinced that this is the only or perhaps even the major reason. I'm not sure if it is even possible to quantify the effect of US-style junk food in a remotely scientific fashion. The global economy has brought higher relative prosperity to many parts of the developed world, and this plays a role as well, among other factors.

By the way, we were discussing obesity in the US and Europe. I'm not aware of any European countries that were democratized by US bombs, excepting Germany, which was equally (more or less) socialized by Soviet bombs. And furthermore, to my knowledge, no American soldiers are currently stationed in Europe with the specific charge of holding guns to the heads of Europeans with the intent of forcing them to eat Big Macs.

Look, I know it's fashionable to bash the US these days, but please if your going to bash us, keep it in proper context.
AxeZ

Postby AxeZ » 25-Oct-08 0:35

Sova wrote:By the way, we were discussing obesity in the US and Europe. I'm not aware of any European countries that were democratized by US bombs, excepting Germany, which was equally (more or less) socialized by Soviet bombs. And furthermore, to my knowledge, no American soldiers are currently stationed in Europe with the specific charge of holding guns to the heads of Europeans with the intent of forcing them to eat Big Macs.

Look, I know it's fashionable to bash the US these days, but please if your going to bash us, keep it in proper context.

Ummm, how about bombing of serbia&montenegro in 1999. plus troops stationed in Bosnia and Kosovo?

pedro1974

Postby pedro1974 » 25-Oct-08 16:42

AxeZ wrote:
Sova wrote:

Ummm, how about bombing of serbia&montenegro in 1999. plus troops stationed in Bosnia and Kosovo?

ssshhhh!
its a secret and nobody have to know that...
(sorry for the OT, but: in italy there are 107 us army base...for what??????
http://www.laltralombardia.it/public/do ... ora95.html )

coming back to the topic, I really think the usa exported their style, fast food and junk food is not in the natural dna of europeans.
eso

Postby eso » 25-Oct-08 19:09

Slimness is fabrication of the twentieth century ;)

Before that - belly fat was sign of wealth and respectability :)
When in trouble or in doubt,
run in circles scream and shout.
rsalc1

Postby rsalc1 » 10-May-09 20:27

From a purely anecdotal point of view (my own observations while travelling to Europe and then returning to the US): I can say that I have seen very few fat people - and no obese people - in Europe, but as soon as I return to the US, I see too many super-sized bodies.
I wish it were not so.