czech meals and therapeutic uses of food

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by lskiba3, Nov 21, 2008.

1. lskiba3

lskiba3 New Member

Hi. I am a nutrition student from Ohio working on a project over the Czech Republic. Can anyone tell me typically how many meals per day are eaten as well as what the consist of? I also need to know if there are any foods used as therapeutic cures to illness. And if anyone has mannerisms that can throw in I appreciate it!! Thanks!

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

It may differ quite a long and changes with time.
    In my opinion there are still typically three meals per day:

breakfast - usually bread and butter, may be salami, cheese; or pastry; tea, coffee, milk

lunch - soup and some (usually meat) second dish

supper - if warm then similar to lunch but without soup, if cold then similar to
    breakfast, but a bit larger

This is not backed by any statistics, just my opinion 8)

3. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

dunno know why, when I was sick I got gulash and a beer and I felt better!

in my opinion, about how many meals per day, czeck have many meals after the main one that is the lunch.
    in the streets, at any time, it's very easy to find people eating in fast food, hot dog, chinese food, the dinner usually is lighter and smaller than the lunch.

4. lskiba3

lskiba3 New Member

thank you very much! In some of my research I saw that Beckerovka maybe be used to help settle the stomach. Can anyone confirm if this is true? Are there any herbal remedies anyone is aware of?

Also, as a part of my project, I must include some type of counseling methods to people of the czech republic, specifically what verbal and non-verbal signs to look for. Are Czechs typically shy and reserve when speaking with a stranger? Do they prefer eye contact? Anything known would be greatley appreciated!

Mary Kathryn Moravek likes this.
  5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I can vouch for Becherovka. It helps to settle my stomach.

Mary Kathryn Moravek likes this.
  6. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

sure beckerovka, but I would say even more slivovice.
    other food I've heard its healthy are "zeli" boiled

7. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I wouldn't describe slivovice as herbal, pedro, and from my experience, it certainly doesn't settle your stomach! :shock:

8. Irena M

I agree.

9. kika

kika Member

Becherovka is a brandy made from herbs, spices and sugar, slivovice is a brandy made from plums. I dont think you can say typically for Czech, maybe only famous. All kinds of brandy is used in east european area, named also rakia, rakija, made from plum, pear, quince, cherry, honey,also mixed fruit, herbs. Some of them are used to relieve some heavy food. That is why you should take it after meal.
    Generally speaking Czech are shy, are not confident. Of course not everybody but like I said its a generally picture. They are in a kind of being passive, dont really care what will happen. I think this is a reflection in nations character which has been developing in decades of political aggression (Germans, Russians, communist system...) and it had influences in cultural, religious and social life. Their English and other foreign languages are bad. Today things are obviously changing. People are more aware of meaning of enjoying life, finding the best for themselves, also free market, open boundaries, materialism, globalisation.

10. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I think it's a generational thing. I have found young people here just as outgoing and confident as their counterparts in the UK, and generally more polite and better behaved. And many of them speak excellent English.

11. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Hot Rosehip tea with splash of rum and some honey is a cure-all. My grandma, who never touched alcohol otherwise, swore by it.

As for meals, traditionally midday meal is the main meal of the day, usually consisting of soup served first followed by main course.

12. Nikl

Nikl Active Member

I do not think that Czech people are shy. When they speake own (czech) lenguage. Maybe they my be shy, when somebody ask them question in english.
    English is not in Czech Republic priority. Many older people speak german, midle age people know little russian. They were mandatory to lern in school.
    Only recently people strat lern more english in school, but no everywere.

I do not live in Czech Republic anymore, so I know this only from visiting my family.

13. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

To my understanding, Garlic Soup is considered a healing food when one has a cold or flu.

14. Irena M

That and topinky!