ahoj

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by usak, Mar 29, 2005.

1. usak

usak Well-Known Member

hello i am new here, and I am interested in learning Czech. I live in the USA, and I am mainling interested in Czech because thats where my grandmother's family is from. An interesting story behind that- My family were gypsies and found a family moving to the USA. This family had a son that died, and my family gave them their son so that he could go to America, while the richer family's dead son was buried under my family name. Anyway, thats the theory-from there I don't know much, my family was told as children that our ancestor from (what was then)Czechoslovakia returned to fight in World War 1 or perhaps sooner,and served as a spy. Other family members disregard this and say that he became a barber in New York City. I guess I may never know but I would like to learn Czech and perhaps travel there sometime soon.

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Well thats quite the whopper of a story! Where in the states are you from? Are you sure your family isn't pulling your leg? :}

3. usak

usak Well-Known Member

:lol: I actually dont even know where my Grandmother(Czech) was from. I never met her. All I really know is that my Grandparents met and got married in Berlin 1945, but both were citizens of the US at thhe time. I know the part about my family switching children with another family are true. My Grandfather is into Genealogy and visited this small towns graveyard and found the tombstone of the kid who died.

As for the Czech spy part, that could easily have been a story just to tell the kids, since they never knew him.