Allow me to introduce myself

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bouncingczech, Aug 1, 2008.

1. bouncingczech

bouncingczech Active Member

Actually I lived in Holesovice across the river. I went to school in Karlin between 65 and 68.
    Palm Spring, huh? I haven't been there for a while, but I have some fond memories of Palm Springs, involving a Hollywood starlet whose identity will remain a closely guarded secret. It was a long time ago. It's a nice city to live in, if you like the heat and play golf.

2. bouncingczech

Great pictures! Thank you! The theater (name I forgot) that is on the right took a bad hit, but I think it's reopened now. Anyway, Labuznik (or "U Labuznika") was on the left side of Sokolovska about a block from Karlinske Namesti going towards Flora. It was a small place consisting of two rooms. Here is another flood story I just remembered. One of my classmates used to have a shop selling vitamins somewhere in Karlin. He's into rodeo so he turned the back room into a Western bar. Great synergy, huh? In this space that was at ground level he had an old armoire where he kept all of his rodeo trophies and old family photographs. He was convinced that everything was lost in the flood but when he was allowed in to check he found the armoire standing in the middle of the room and all the contents that were in the upper part were totally dry and undamaged. The rising water evidently lifted the entire armoire and when the water receded the armoire gently settled back on the floor.
    Unfortunately everything else in the shop was beyond salvation and he never reopened.

3. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

What a great story bouncingczech!
    We might have even gone to school together. :)

4. bouncingczech

Irenko, I went to your wen site - which is very nice btw - and I saw your picture there. I am certain that if we went to school together, I'd remember. Fer sure! :)

I just posted another short story on my site http://www.bouncingczech.com

5. Irena M

Dekuji!
    My last name used to be Vavrova.

6. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Bouncingczech
    You sound like an interesting character.
    Winning your wife in a card game, you don't hear that everyday.

7. bouncingczech

Wait a minute! Were you a brunette then and did you have this gazelle-like walk? Did we go skiing to a "bouda" somewhere above Liberec for week in the winter of 68-69? Did we get close but no cigar?

I don't think it's you...you were probably too young then; it was another Irena. I tracked a lot of people over the Internet - did you look at spoluzaci.cz? I communicate with my classmates from Karlin and Holesovice there.
    Did you say you haven't been there lately? Why? It's actually quite fun to go back...

8. Irena M

I don't think it was me either. I was in grammar school then. :)