American president arrives in London

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scrimshaw, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Mr Tomlinson was a newsvendor - he sold the Evening Standard from a small stand on a street corner. Nothing to do with the demonstrations. I have just heard on BBC Radio 4 that for five days after the incident, the Metopolitan Police refused to admit anything had happened

2. Polednikova

Sorry to disagree, Irena, but in Prague, she looked like a waitress. I appreciate that she obviously wants to look completely different from Jackie Kennedy, but unfortunately, the result looks uncomfortable, awkward and unstylish.

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Well, as you might guess from my political views, I am extremely happy with our new President and his wife but, I have to admit, that was an awful ensemble she wore in Prague. I don't usually pay much attention to what she wears (had to go look up a news article to see what she had on in Prague) - I have been watching what the Obama's do.
    Ever the optimist, I think better days are ahead for all of us on both sides of the pond.

4. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I haven't seen what First Lady Michelle was wearing in Prague, other than a black dress and a black cardigan.
    Do you have a pic or a link that would show me where she looks like a "waitress"?

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

6. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Thanks Glenn.
    I can see how that could be misconstrued as an uniform of sorts.

7. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

All we can do is, hope that it is going to be ok.

And it will.

8. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

But the problem with the video is that it was made by an amateur and we have no confirmation that that man who the police for some reason felt they had to subdue in those pictures was the same man who died.

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

<sigh> What kind of world do we live in where we judge our leaders based on how they or their spouses dress? :roll:

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Apparently in a world where the leaders have nothing better to present to us. :wink:

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

:lol: That's perfect Wer!

12. Polednikova

No-one was judging your President by how his wife was dressed; I was just saying that I didn't like the outfit she wore in Prague. It's a subject in which I have a professional interest as I used to work for the UK Prime Minister and know how many column inches are written about the clothes of politicians' spouses. :wink:

13. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Not exactly Czech obsession. I don’t remember a line dropped about the spouses of Vladimír Špidla or Petr Pithart. And they both were Prime Ministers. Was Pithart married, after all?

14. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Doc. JUDr. Petr Pithart - vysokoškolský učitel.
    Formálním vzděláním právník, sebevzděláním historik a politolog. Politik.
    Narodil se 2. ledna 1941 v Kladně. Otec právník, matka učitelka.

Manželka Drahomíra, rozená Hromádková (1940), prom. filoložka
    Děti: David (1965), Klára (1971). Vnoučata Ferdinand, Anna, Prokop, Anežka.
    8)

15. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the tragedy in your family Katko.
    Life is a gift.

16. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Thanks David