An observant eye: trivial observations from a recent visitor

Discussion in 'Culture' started by ondrejana, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Hello dear all!

Having just watched Kolya last night with my hubby, I wanted to remark (before I forgot) on some interesting things I noted while on holiday to Praha recently.

1. The Prague metro station (whose chief engineer back in the 70's was Hungarian) really piqued my interest.

In my opinion, the depth at which the tracks and platforms are built is comparable to no other city. Which means, accordingly, that the escalators are the lengthiest that I have ever been on. Then I recalled that a person who walked the Metro system before it ever was put into operation (now an author, to relate his experiences of what living in the former CSSR in the 60's-Velvet Revolution was like) told me that the Communist government meant for it to be an emergency bomb shelter! in fact, large swing doors were installed in history to fortify protection against harm.

Another point: the rate at which the escalator goes is, to me, bezerk! Weren't the Communists all about efficiency and 'fast', and this is the reason that it seems to always be on 'hyper rate'??

2. The 'tourist attractions' of Praha are frugal with clearer signs and explanations in English! Whether at Prazsky hrad or at the Klementinum, we both remarked that the city was wont to have placards or signs with explanations of the historical significance in English. Heck, even the office where one purchases tour tickets FOR the castle had barely a sign in English.

3. The bathrooms (which average 3-5Kc for single use) are exceptionally clean!!! Specifically, I mean to say, the toalety. I continued to be amazed, whichever part of the city I was in, to find this consistent and pleasant for the 'experience'! Anyone else who travels about agree?

4. The idea of male pivo is in existence most likely for the female to order? How is it perceived when a woman orders a regular half litre? Or no big deal either way?

5. One cannot simply begin to talk 'shop/small talk' with a perfect stranger. For example, on a tramvaj, to start casual conversation such as "What a dreary day" or "Could this tramvaj possibly fit another body (implying it to be so full)?" would shock the person being addressed.

6. Czechs are wild about their dogs!!! I saw dogs practically everywhere, unleashed, and behaving quite remarkably! I couldn't resist the camcorder on them, because of the stark difference here in the US. I saw dogs (in every shape and size) in nicer restaurants... even in the bohemia crystal shops!

Is all I have for now....will continue when new thoughts pop out at me

2. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Ahoj!

I read somewhere that the longest escalator in the world is in Moscow, and goes from a metro station up to the street level. (Maybe the designer was going for a similar effect!) I wonder if anyone on this list can confirm that piece of trivia.

Susan

3. Leah

Leah Active Member

Yes, the escaltors in Moscow could quite possibly be the longest - they are so long that it is almost frightening when you are going up or down because you can't see the end of them (especially if you're a little chlostrophobic) - the escalators in St. Petersburg are the same way - I know that they are longer than Prague's, but maybe not as fast!

4. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

4. The idea of male pivo is in existence most likely for the female to order? How is it perceived when a woman orders a regular half litre? Or no big deal either way?

Male pivo = You are either in a hurry or not thirsty enough. Gender makes no difference.

Eva

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I've seen public bathrooms in the C.R. as varied in cleanliness as here in the States. I agree, though, most were well-kept.
    I think the analogy of the oranges and peaches (see Czech vs American 'Personal Space' p.3) applies to this. No it's not normal in the C.R. to just strike up a conversation with a perfect stranger like that. I found that sometimes people were more understanding in this situation when they learned I was American.
    I know what you mean. I saw anything from the little "rat" dogs to dogs as big as ponies! And always, their owners seemed to dote on them (oftern more so than their children).