Answering the phone?

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Rivka, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Rivka

Rivka Member

What is the typical word to say when answering the phone in Czech? Thanks :D

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Your name or "haló" or "ano". But name is best choice.

3. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

4. MK

MK Well-Known Member

When at work:

1.Company name
    2.Your name
    [3. Greeting (Dobrý den)]

5. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

If I don't know who's calling I always say prosím.
    If I know who's calling and it's my friend I ussually say some informal greeting like čau and if it's someone else I just say prosím.

6. MK

MK Well-Known Member

I always answer calls saying my name. It is because I also like much more when my calls are answered with name then with just simple "Prosím!" or "Čau" (this one I hate the most" :x ). I feel not at easy when I should answer the call with my name at crowded place but I still do so.

7. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

I guess it really depends on the person. I never answer phone saying my name. I don't know why. I just don't do it.

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I've also heard "Slyším," although this only from a 70-year-old grandma. The joke I'd always play on her when she answered the phone that way, was to reply, "Jsem rád, že ještě slyšíš."

9. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Taking the cellular implementation of push-to-talk into consideration, the proper answer should be now:
    "Tady orel, tady orel. Jak mne slyšíte? Přepínám." :wink:

10. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

11. Rivka

Rivka Member

Thanks for the responses!

I had thought there might be a single word that everyone uses (such as PRRRRRRONTO! in Italian). But I guess it's more of an individual thing in Czech :D