Are there any smoke-free restaurants in Prague?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by saillael, Feb 27, 2007.

1. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Don't forget to add Pivovarsky Dum to the list of places with non-smoking areas. AND you don't have to walk through the smoking area to get there. The non-smoking rooms are completely separate so they really are smoke free.

It's on the corner of Jecna and Stepanska, easy to find.

Plus, you can try the various flavored beers (wheat, blueberry, banana, coffee, green nettle, and sour cherry) while you're there. :D

Susan

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I second that - and they have a tasty gulaš!

3. saillael

saillael Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips. My first night there I ate at Pivovarsky Dum as it was half a block away from my apartment. I also enjoyed eating at Cafe Louvre where I had the lamb for less money than a plate of asparagus cost at the cafe in the Hotel Europa. Went there for the architecture and fell into a tourist trap.

I learned that there is a law in Prague banning smoking in restaurants during the normal dining hours, but it is not enforced. However, I didn't find the smoke much of a problem anywhere else I went.

I cannot wait to go back to Prague.

4. GlennInFlorida

I understand completely - glad you had a good time, Prague is truly a magical city. I am planning my fourth trip back for this fall - can't wait.

BTW you live in a pretty wonderful city yourself - Atlanta is now the fastest growing metropolitan area in the US. I have a special place in my heart for Atlanta - went to Georgia Tech back in the dark ages about 40 years ago - still go back there to visit every few years.

5. saillael

Atlanta is pretty wonderful although I have never before lived this far from the coast. I am a California girl.

At least I have never lived in a state without coastline.

Did you settle in Fla. after graduating from Tech? (Good choice BTW)

Yes I loved Prague very much and am going through some kind of withdrawal. I wake up and first think I am still there. But there are no cobbles to negotiate, and little pre 20th century architecture to capture my attention.

6. GlennInFlorida

No, actually I'm one of those rare native Floridans - born and raised in Tampa. Atlanta was further north (and much further South - if you know what I mean) than I was used to. I still live in the same house I moved into on my eighth birthday in 1955. It cost my Mother a whopping $11,400 when she bought it. Today it is worth over $250,000. I got the house when she died in 1990 but, had lived in the house since 1984 when I moved back from a 6 year stint in Texas.

I love Prague so very much - not sure why, I'm not of Czech heritage - that I am planning to retire there. Just something about the Heart of Europe that makes my soul sing.

7. saillael

I know what you mean about loving Prague so much. It just gets under your skin, even the eccentricities of the city and the people.

People who have never been their don't get it. I have three friends who have been there and they are the only ones whose eyes don't glaze over when I go on and on about what living in Prague is like. It's like we have all tasted this amazing wine, and everyone else is drinking Boone's Farm.

Atlanta may have been very southern when you were in school, but it's not anymore! But luckily we have all sorts of folks from the north to tell how to fix all the stuff we are doing wrong!

8. GlennInFlorida

Well, it was over 40 years ago.

Folks from up north have a way of doing that - most of us locals here just say "Yes'm", smile, and ignore them - after a while they become more like us than different from us and learn to say "Yes'm", smile, and ignore the ones who get here after them.

9. saillael

I wish I could say the same thing happens here. Unfortunately there are now more of them than us, and the fast pace of big city life seems to feed the mania.

I would love to live down your way on Passe Grille. It's our favorite St. ut Pete Beach. But alas, if I still lived at or near the Beach (like I did growing up and all through college) I would be leathered and plagued by skin cancer, I am sure. But I'd also be more fit!

10. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

I'm going to be going to the CZ in July and cannot bear the smoking either, it effects my contact lenses immediately and then I cannot wear them for any length of time. I have been concerned as well about where to eat that has non-smoking areas or even eating outside to avoid the nasty smoke. July should be warm enough to eat outside! THANKS for the restaurant tip ealier!

11. saillael

Definitely go to Cafe Louvre and sit in their non-smoking room. I too am very sensitive and the only place I had trouble was the cafe in the Hotel Europa, but as I said, their prices are way out to line anyway. If you want a coffee shop with good quiche go to the Cafe Ebel off of Old Town Square, behind Our Lady Before Tyn. They have the best coffee in Prague. Le Patio is also very good. It isn't too far from the National Theater. Their mint tea is amazing, and they have the best and freshest salads in Prague.