ATM Machines in hotels

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by KL, Sep 23, 2004.

1. KL

KL New Member

For any of you who have traveled to the Czech Republic, are ATM Machines available inside the hotels? What is the standard fee for using an ATM there? Thanks.

Ken

2. Molson25

Molson25 Member

yes of course... Depends on the hotel... My company has put me up in the hotel hilton (for five months :) )... I am from Canada and it cost me through my bank $3.00. The machine charges $0. The exchange rate is better than the exchange booths and best for that given day for me at least...

I was in Vienna, same thing with the ATM at the Train station.... For Europe you must ensure you have only a 4 digit pin, anything more you will have your card eaten by the machine or simply rejected.

Cau

Mark

3. KL

KL New Member

Mark - quick question about your exchange rate comment. Do you mean that taking money out of the ATM cost you less, in terms of CN dollars that were deducted from your account.......vs. exchanging CN dollars for Korona at an Exchange Booth? Thanks.

Ken

4. Molson25

Molson25 Member

Yes it is cheaper... that is you get a way better exchange rate because Canadian banks usually provide you best rate for the day rates. I bank with CIBC, but it is the same with TD... other banks I dunno.

Booths usually add a relatively large commision. The banks use a really good rate. Way better than booths... what a rip off some of those are. If you have to use a booth shop around because they all have different rates.

Cau

5. p3_141597i

p3_141597i Member

that is a good point, exchange rates are better on debit/credit cards than exchange booths, because they charge a comission or a surcharge, same is with me traveling to Canada, better rates through the card than by exchange. And as long as you have a Visa or Cirrus compatible debit you should be able to find ATM's plenty that don't charge to withdrawl, unlike the states ;)

Josh