Bad e-pals???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by confused, Dec 25, 2004.

1. confused

confused Active Member

I really need some help, because I would really like a penpal around my age from the czech republic but I don't really want to go and find someone that I'm not really sure of on the internet because I know there are a lot of bad people who try and trick teenagers on the internet and I don't want to be involved in taking the risks, I went on this site before www.aj.cz/penfriends so could anyone maybe give me some advise or information about the history of the site? Just your views on this, it would really help. Because I don't want to be talking to any major liars on the internet saying that they're 16 or something when they're 95. Thanks for the help.

2. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

I have had problems with penpals on the Net - in my case I'm 42 and wish to discuss culture, I'm not looking for a partner. It is difficult to know who is being honest and who isn't - I joined a penpal club online and specifically put that I was not looking for romance, just chat about general stuff, but the amount of responses from men obviously looking for casual sex put me off. I stated exactly on my profile that I wasn't into casual sex or affairs, yet I got plenty of responses from married men looking for exactly that! I ignored their replies.

It may be a good idea to use a nickname that doesn't show what sex you are, I use Brigitte because that is my name, but sometimes I think next time I join an online community I may well well use a nick! Maybe too, don't reveal your age, don't lie if asked, but maybe say you wish keep your age private, and give, say 'under 26' if pushed! If someone is genuine they won't be bothered by that, they will respect.

Hope you have success! :wink:

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, in your case - looking for a Czech teenager speaking English good enough to talk over Internet and having regular access to it (I do not mean having a PC) - it will not be easy, I guess. Maybe some students of high schools; I will try to find some websites for you, if you want me to.

4. confused

confused Active Member

Thanks Jana, because I'm only 14 and I only want a girl or boy penpal around my age so I can learn more about the Czech Republic and the way they go to school, and stuff like that and how they live but I'm afraid if old men try to trick me or something or send viruses, scary email.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Some contacts to Czech high schools (most of them for students 12-19 years old) with intensive courses of English:
    Prague - info@gsgpraha.cz
    Prague - office@englishcollege.cz
    Brno - sekretariat@mgbrno.cz
    Olomouc - mailbox@gytool.cz

Unfortunately, there is Christmas break at Czech schools now (till January 3rd); but if you try to contact them later in January, I am sure you will find somebody there willing to help you find some penpals of your age.