bank machines - what denominations?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Rivka, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Rivka

Rivka Member

I'm wondering what are the typical amounts you can withdraw from a bank machine at one time? Thanks :D

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I don't remember all of the amounts (there is usually a selection of about 8 or so) but, I have gotten 600, 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 Kc at different times. The larger amounts are alway large bills ( a single 1000, a single 2000, a 1000 and a 2000, or two 2000's) and can be hard to break. If you get your money at a bankomat adjacent to a bank, you can easily get smaller bills from a teller inside. Instructions on bankomats are in several languages and they usually give you the best exchange rate available for the day - much better than the money exchange stores.

3. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

You can withdraw any amount divisible by 200.

4. Rivka

Rivka Member

Thank you! This is exactly the information I needed and is very helpful!

5. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the bank that issued your ATM card will have some limit set as to how much you can take out per withdrawal or per day.

6. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the whole required amount must be available in the chosen machine. :wink:

7. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

That depends on the bank... Some machines also provide 100,- Kc bills (CSOBs ones do, for one).
    Sometimes the machine runs out of these (100s and 200s), then it offers you nearest available amounts, usually divisible by 500.

8. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Most of ATMs is owned by Ceska Sporitelna. I remember that CS stated few years ago that they will load their ATMs with 200 Kc, 1000 Kc and 2000 Kc bills only.

9. Rivka

Rivka Member

Thanks everyone. I think my strategy will be to request an off-amount, like something thousand eight hundred, so I'll get four 200 notes - I don't want to worry about not being able to break large bills. Plus I need to ask for the greatest amount possible per transaction because my bank only allows 4 free ones before charging a hefty fee.

10. MK

MK Well-Known Member

I think that Ceska Sporitelna allows you to set up on their cards maximal weekly amount for withdrawal of 150 000 Kc and Komercni banka allows 500 000 Kc. Both with no limit for number of transactions. Therefore I think you can withdraw such amount in one transaction. It is nothing unusual to withdraw several tens of thousand crowns.

Does it also apply to ATMs abroad?

11. GlennInFlorida

sort of...

Withdrawal amounts are limited differently by each institution and sometimes differently depending upon the type of account you have or the amount you have available in the account (e.g. a percentage of your available funds). ATM's that are not serviced by your "home" bank may also have independent withdrawal limitations.

Withdrawing more than 200USD at a time can be problematic - not because of the amount, but because most ATM's only dispense twenties (20USD bills) - it takes ten of them for 200USD and not much more would simply jam the dispenser (can happen anyway if some of the bills are a bit worn).

Typical "Fast Cash" withdrawal amounts listed on most machines (around here, anyway) are 20, 40, 60, or 100USD. You can also choose "other" for any amount divisible by 20. This really doesn't create that much of a problem because we are not really very cash based now. Virtually all stores, even small "Mom and Pop" stores, offer payment by debit or credit card.

12. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Thanks for answer.
    I think that typical withdrawal amount (Fast Cash) is here up to CZK 3000. I am not so sure, I barely recall the number of fast cash options (6 or 8 ??).
    Once I withdrawed CZK 24000. I remember my surprise when I got 4x5000 and 4x1000. I never imagined they load ATMs with 5000 bills. :shock: It was ATM of Komercni Banka, maybe it has not special rule for bills in ATMs. Anyway it was only 8 bills together.

13. welshboy

welshboy New Member

This is sort of rel. to this thread so added here rather than starting afresh....

What are the charges for ATMs? My bank (nicely) does not charge for use abroad and give a pretty good exchange rate as well, but I still incur any charges made by the "host" bank. In the UK most bank ATMs are free for any customer, what is the deal in Prague? Does anyone know of a bank that does not charge/which would be the cheapest to use?

Thanks!

14. GlennInFlorida

I have never noticed any additional charges on Czech machines. A charge may be "hidden" in the exchange rate, but I have never seen any line items for a charge on my bank statement and the exchange rate is usually about the best you can find - much better than the money peddlers on the street will give you - avoid them at all costs. My home bank charges $2 per transaction but, considering the larger amounts I usually take out, that is a very nominal charge. There are no notices on Czech machines like the ones here that advise you that you will be charged an additional $1.50 to $5.00 for using a bank that is other than your "home" bank. This is for debit cards - charge cards are another matter. Credit cards frequently charge a 3% cash transaction fee and an additonal 3 to 5% for "European" transactions (they charge that on regular purchases, too).

15. welshboy

welshboy New Member

And what about cash back? Do the big stores (e.g. the Tesco hypermarket) do cash back when using a debit card?

(I'm going on Monday so a reply before then would be grately appr.!!)

16. GlennInFlorida

never used a debit card in a store - only used cash. no idea - anyone else?

17. eso

eso Well-Known Member

18. welshboy

welshboy New Member

hmmm, thanks for that article, doesn't seem to be as common as it is in the rest of Europe, esp. as I don't have an account with that particular company.....

atms it is then!

19. eyesmax

eyesmax Well-Known Member

Hi,

I used to take 15000 every day. I'm using HSBC ATM card>>>> issued from Saudi Arabia.