Bargaining For Food or Goods

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Fate83, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Fate83

Fate83 Member

Is it acceptable to bargain for goods at department stores or at markets in the Czech Republic?

When in Finland I learned that shopping for food was done on a daily basis in the open Market square. Is this also true in the Czech Republic and if so, is bargainning a strong tool that is used or accepted?

Thank you in advace for your help :)

2. probinso

probinso Member

When I was in Helsinki, I noticed that most of my Finnish colleagues shopped mainly at the grocery store, just like in the US. There were markets around, but for busy professionals they are not all that convenient except maybe to pick up an item or two, or lunch. Perhaps it is different in smaller towns.

I have never attempted to bargain for things in Prague, nor have I seen my Czech colleagues do so. It might be possible in some of the outdoor market stalls, but I would not suggest that you try it at the department store!

3. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Bargaining is an unknown concept in CR, except perhaps at flea markets.

4. JOHNNY

JOHNNY Member

Good - constant bargaining is annoying - I am in sales and have to deal with people that want to bargain at every turn. Good to hear Eva

5. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

So far I noticed only Third World people bargain. Bargaining is definitely not a European habit.