Bez Vyzn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Viktor, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

I hope someone one can answer my question.( I realize that this may be in Slovak). On my birth certificate -- Rodny List -- from Bratislava there is a notation:" Naboz. otca: bez vyzn" . I know this refers to the religion of the father, but was wondering what is the literary translation?

Hence, does it mean; without religion or not declared or atheist or agnostic or without faith -- this " margin" notation only appears on "slovak" documents only and not czech or moravian, this was during the preiod when the countrie (s) were one and known as Czechoslovakia ( in reality, in the period between the 1st and 2nd republic, they were known as the Bohemian, Moravian and Slovak protectorates)... :(

I hope someone can answer this on this forum, for I hate to go to Slovensko.com, were more likely they'll bame it on some sort of a Bush conspiracy or American imperializm... :lol:

Thanks,

Viktor

2. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i think it is an abbreviation for "bez vyznání" - "no religious affiliation" is probably the closest phrase used in english

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

The literary translation of "bez vyznání" is without confession; it appeared on birth certificates issued in the Czechoslovak Republic, i.e. both in Czech and Slovak parts till fifties. And, as meluzina says, it means no religious affiliation.