Can someone tell me what a Gypsy is?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by iluvuma1, Sep 17, 2004.

1. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

What is a gypsy? Is a Gypsy an ethnicity or is a lifestyle- or both? If I have Bohemian roots could I be a Gypsy? Are there still gypsies in Czech republic?

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Gipsies (or gypsies) are an ethnic group, originally coming from India (or I have heard so), now living mostly in eastern Europe - Czechia, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria etc.

Wikipedia seems to have quite good info.

The appearence of Gipsies (or Roma, to be politically correct) differs from the major white population of Czech republic, and from other ethnic groups, which makes them quite recognizable. They have brown skin and black, usually straight, hair. One image is better than a thousand words - see two men and children (just random hits from Google, no representative pictures).

The Roma population in Czech republic is mostly perceived as troublemakers and criminals. Although many Roma families live just the normal way like everyone else (and therefore nobody notices them), many of these people live just from the state social support or minor crimes, do not pay rent, and in some areas there are true "gipsy ghettos", where there are windowless houses, no electricity and trash everywhere. It is even worse in Slovakia and more eastern countries, where you can find gipsies living like in middle ages.

Gipsies are usually very good musicians, especially their violin play is hearttaking and surely worth hearing. There are some Czech Roma music groups, most famous artist would be Věra Bílá and her group Kale. Maybe you also know the Gipsy Kings guitar band (which is not Czech, though).

The Czech word for "Roma" is "Rom" or "Róm" (m.), Romka (f.). For gipsy (which is not officially supported word and may be considered pejorative) it is "cigán" or "cikán" (m.) , -ka (f.)

3. marv_boy

marv_boy Active Member

chose to delete