Chemistry fragment CZ->EN

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by rfp, Jan 22, 2007.

1. rfp

rfp Active Member

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me with this

"B-hydroxybutyrát je zpětně aktivován na acetacetlyCoA"

Thanks,

Rob

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

"is back(wards) activated to" - I hope this makes sense.

3. rfp

rfp Active Member

Hey Karel, thanks but it doesn't really make sense, that's what I was translating it as too, I thought perhaps it was a czech expression that didn't work when literally translated.

Any chemists here?

Rob.

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Just a little while ago I wasn't sure you use the verb activate in the same way. But I googled it (Benzo(c)phenanthrene is activated to DNA-binding diol epoxides; Hypolipidaemic drugs are activated to acyl-CoA esters ...).

It is often used in biochemistry. It simply means that a chemical is transformed into another chemical in order to be ready for a particular need (need of energy in your case, I guess).

5. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Maybe
    it is activated back into?
    changes form back to?

very uneducated guess

6. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

I have found in an english text:
    "Should acetate be activated to acetyl-CoA within the liver ..." in http://www.med.unibs.it/~marchesi/lipsynth.html
    or
    "Methanothrix soehngenii, acetate is activated to acetyl-coenzyme A (acetyl-CoA) by an acetyl-CoA synthetase"
    So I think the usage of "is activated" for "je aktivován" is ok.
    And for "zpětně" : back, backwards, reversely

7. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

8. rfp

rfp Active Member

Thanks guys, it was the backwards that was confusing me a bit. Adding CoA to something always activates it. I have just never come accross the term backwards activation.

Alena reverse activation makes sense, thanks.

What about the snow today? I was delighted to see it until my flight to France got cancelled! Guess i'm going to to get to visit Spindluv this year after all :)