club soda/mineral water

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by matthooper, Mar 26, 2005.

1. matthooper

matthooper New Member

How would I pronounce the word for a club soda or a mineral water with carbonation? Leaving soon and I can't wait.

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

club soda = sodovka = pron. sodofka
    i.e. to order one: jednu sodovku prosim
    mineral water = mineralka (you better stay with sodovka, it is cheaper and easier to pronounce

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Just be careful - if you go to the Moravian part of the country, sodovka means there carbonated water with some flavor (orange, lemon, strawberry etc.) and it is rather awful.
    The best is to order bottled water; available as plain (neperlivá voda) or carbonated (perlivá or mírně perlivá) - Bonaqa, Aqualinea, Dobrá voda, Čistá voda, Toma Natura. Mattoni is the most common brand of mineral water; Korunní, Ida and Magnesia are also good. Perrier, Evian and Vittel are imported brands of mineral water and rather expensive ones. I would not recommend you to try Šaratica or Zaječická, unless you want to spend the rest of the day in a restroom.

4. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Why's that??!! :eek: Can you also tell me why there are so many brands of water for a country with few sources??

5. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Draw steel!
    I spent my childhood drinking sodovkas.

6. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

šaratice is, due to its specific mineral content (i believe higher concentrations of sodium sulphate and magnesium sulphate) , considered to be a natural cure for constipation, thus it might have undesired side effects -- zaječická is also considered to be the same sort of "bitter" mineral water

what specifically do you mean "so few sources" ???

"Over 2,000 mineral and thermal springs have been
    identified in the former Czechoslovakia. ....... About 360 million bottles of
    mineral water are produced in 22 bottling plants annually." -- just think about the numerous spas that are located in both the czech republic as well as slovakia -- the mineral waters at these spas vary according to mineral content and are used as natural treatment of various disorders, hence the reason why certain spas are acknowledged as treatment centers for different disorders

see here for more information: geoheat.oit.edu/bulletin/bull21-3/art11.pdf

in addition to the brand names menitioned by jana, there are also some "generic" brands available that are much less expensive

7. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Few? There are tens of sources of mineral water in the country.

Šaratica and Zaječická are strong laxatives. They are medicines, not drinks.

8. matthooper

matthooper New Member

I would like to thank you all for you're help. I can't believe the quick responses. You guys are the best!

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Halef wrote:
    So did I, and I loved it :D ; but it does not mean the foreigners are supposed to be of the same opinion. Anyway, sodovka of my childhood tasted so much better than the stuff sold now.