construction & building terms

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Jaybob, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Jaybob

Jaybob Member

Hi,

my czech wife and I are renovating a house in Czech and while I know the techinical building words in English I need to find them out in czech to help when I am ordering materials or services. The dictionaries I have found so far are limited to the technical words.

Please could someone advise me or either a web link that I could find these out or maybe you know them? Here are a few that I'm needing right now but I know I will have more as I go along :)

underpinning
    RSJ (Re-enforced steel joint - or girder)
    concrete lintel
    joists
    screeding
    visquene
    crusher run
    acro prop
    baten
    balast
    dot and dab

Thanks in advance

Jay

2. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

3. Jaybob

Jaybob Member

Thanks for that Kibiz!

visquene - is a very tough plastic that goes on the floor above sand and underneath the concrete when you concrete floors. It may be a different method in Czech? although I only know how its done in the UK.

Crusher run - is a type of course lime that goes on the floor which is smashed down hard with a 'whacker plate' (could use the czech word for this too :D , the crusher run then goes hard and sand is applied above it then the 'visquene' then concrete.

dot and dab - is a method of plastering - dot the plasterboards with plaster then dab it on the wall.

Thanks again for your help on this.

4. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

visquene - is a very tough plastic that goes on the floor above sand and underneath the concrete when you concrete floors. It may be a different method in Czech? although I only know how its done in the UK.

isolation? if you mention sand then it must by used for bottom of the house i guess..

Crusher run - is a type of course lime that goes on the floor which is smashed down hard with a 'whacker plate' (could use the czech word for this too :D , the crusher run then goes hard and sand is applied above it then the 'visquene' then concrete.

hmm...:-/

when it comes to tools- try to find it there by pictures;) http://www.naradi-modeco.cz/zednicke-lzice-lichobeznikove-siroke-634.htm
    (or you can send link to picture)

because two-word terms are realy hard to translate...

dot and dab - is a method of plastering - dot the plasterboards with plaster then dab it on the wall. - "štuk" but not sure..

5. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

co to? i cannot post reply..