CSL Podcast

Discussion in 'General Language' started by gementricxs, Sep 20, 2005.

1. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Someone should do some Podcast about Czech language. I'm learning English and I'm downloading some ESL (English as a Second Language) Podcast and it's very good. So maybe someone should inspire by it and try to do some podcast about Czech. It would help a lot of people, who are learning Czech.

2. fraggle666

fraggle666 Member

I have been thinking about the same thing. I have the skills for the technical side of things and could get the feeds and a site up and running. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in co-operating in providing/recording the learning materials?

3. gementricxs

Actually I don't have microphone, but I can help you with other things. I can help with preparing materials and so on. The most important thing is decide what level it should be, absolut beginners, beginners or intermediate.

4. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Jirka,

Do you have a link to the ESL podcasts? I am interested in hearing what's being done.

5. gementricxs

6. fraggle666

fraggle666 Member

I was thinking of something at a similar level to what you can find on http://www.chinesepod.com/. What do you think? Absolute beginners, easying into beginners, and then developing futher over time. The good thing with podcast's is that you can continually add content over time.

7. gementricxs

It's PERFECT. The Chinese podcast is really very good. It's way I would like to have the Czech podcast.
    Good music intro, easy dialogue, explanations of new words and again dialogue, but now sentence by sentence with translation. It's really good idea and one of the best way how to learn it.
    And the website is also very good. I like the graphic layoutof the site. The main logo with some chinese palace and floating clouds. Cool.
    And transcript of the podcast is also very useful, so you can look how the word really looks after listening.

8. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links.

I also thought the Chinese podcast was well done. It was presented at a nice level and the dialogue kept things interesting.

9. fraggle666

fraggle666 Member

OK, so the skills I'm bringing to the table are web development and media encoding and audio, and we have a volunteer for preparing the material to present. If anyone is interested in presenting lets see if we can get something together, I think it would be a cool project.

10. gementricxs

Ok, I was little thinking about it, so here are my ideas.

1. Page layout
    What do you think about the page layout? I have some ideas. I would do standard three column layout.
    Left side:
    There will be links to section of the pages (menu). And here comes my ideas.
    -about the podcast (There would be little more about the podcast. What is in the podcast. For who is the podcast (beginners, intermediate) What they will learn in the podcast, how often would be the podcast released and so on.
    -about us (About creators of the podcast. Where are we from, our hobbies and so on.)
    -what is podcast (Basic description what podcast is. I mean in general, not only about the czech)
    -where are you from (It's the coolest thing, that I would like to have in the page. It's inspired by Kristina Summerfrost's podcast. You will have blank political map of the world. It will be fill with some color and when we will have listener from some country, it will be filled with different color. It will be cool to actually see where are the listeners from. You would say "write me where are you from" in the end of the podcast and we will know it.)
    -e-mail (just email adress)
    Right side
    -I would put here some link on the RSS feed of the podcast

2.Name

Do you have any idea how would the podcast should be called?
    Maybe CSL podcast or Learn Czech! podcast ?

3.Logo
    Anybody have idea how the logo should look? I like the flash logo on the Chinese podcast, where the cloud is floating.

You want to program the code of the page? Or you think that we can use some cms/bloger system?

I just found out that mother of friend of mine is teacher and she teaches Czech to foreigners. So maybe I can ask her about some advice. What she teach to absolut begginers and so on.

Who would actually record it? Who would speak in the podcast?? Best idea is to have two speakers in the podcast, like in other language podcast.

So, you (fragle666) would do all audio in the show? All the jingles in the beginning and ending of the show? I saw your webpage, you're musician, so you know how to do it. And you said, that you can do the web, cool. So you know how to produce the podcast? The RSS feeds and so on.

I can help with graphics of the page, with preparing materials and with speaking in the podcast.

11. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Those are some good ideas Jirka.

We can host the podcast on our server and promote it on our sites My Czech Republic and Local Lingo. We recently started a blog and use WordPress. I have experience setting up the software and think it would be a good choice for the podcast.

12. fraggle666

fraggle666 Member

Hi Guys, all the ideas so far sound great. I am heading out of town today, so I will follow up properly on Monday when I am back in Prague. I actually registered www.czechpod.com and www.czechpod.co.uk the other day with a view to using them for this site.

13. gementricxs

I just remember that friend of mine is learning Czech and have czech textbook Colloquial Czech by James Naughton. So, I can ask her to copy some pages of this book for inspiration for tpoics for the podcast.

Yeah, Wordpress could be good. I looked on other podcast's pages and lot of them uses wordpress.

You said that you registered the domain. It's only the adress. Am I right?? And Jeff would host the data, the mp3 files. Am I right???

If I'm right we can start producing the podcast. :D :D :D

EDIT: I just tried the Wordpress, it looks OK. And I found cool template, it just need some little changes, but overall it's ok. Here's the link to my testing page. What do you think about this template? But I'm completely lost in editing. (What is in left column and what is in right, change width of the main page and so on.)
    BTW, maybe I said it, but what do you think about comments? I wouldn't put comment to the posts. I think it's better to write email if someone want to tell us something, like in others language learning podcasts.

14. gementricxs

EDIT: I made some improvement and here's the logo:
    [​IMG]
    What do you think?

EDIT2: One last small question. Who is finally in the Czech Podcast team? Do you know what will be in the first lesson? Or I should prepare something? I would do in thefirst lesson "basic greeting". What do you think? Or anybody wants to learn something different? Do you have someone who will speak in the podcast? If not, I'm volunteer, I would like to do it.

15. gementricxs

I wrote transcript for the first show, what should be in the first show. Tell what do you think about it, what I should change and so on.

16. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Celkem pěkný :)

Jsou přece 2 varianty: nashledanou (ještě tě chci vidět - slušnější) a sbohem (už tě nikdy nechci vidět) ;)

17. gementricxs

It was posted week ago. Anyone know if he was here since last week? We should continue with this project and he registered domain and know how to program web,but unfortunately he hasn't shown on this page.

18. TomCap

TomCap New Member

So, what is the status of the czech podcast Project?

gementricxs, I have copied your script for the first podcast and I will attempt to "Americanize" it. I hope you don't mind. Any idea for the music background? Who will do the Czech words? Not me! When I said "na shledanou" everyone laughed. :?

TomCap

19. gementricxs

Hi TomCap, I'm working on that site, current status is here: http://g-m-t.wz.cz/wp, actually I just need to do some little improvements and them put it in LocalLingo website (hosting). It will be testing version, I will maybe 5 podcasts and if it will be successfull, I can continue.
    Sure, you're welcome to correct my mistakes. I will speak in the podcast.
    Music background, I don't know yet, I downloaded some free mp3 files, I hope that it will be interesting. If you have some suggestion about the music background, let me know.

20. HumlovaUSA

HumlovaUSA New Member

Hi everyone! I am an American but my husband is Czech and has only been here in the US for about 7 years. This podcast is of great interest to me because I have a HUGE desire to learn the language. David has taught me a few words and phrases but he's not a fantastic teacher. He struggles with jumping between the two languages and explaining what and why things are a certain way. :) His parents only speak Czech and I hope someday to be able to converse easily with them. Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll keep my fingers crossed that this podcasts gets off the ground soon! Looking forward to it!