cz>en Easter rhyme?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Ani, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

I received this as an anonymous sms on my Czech mobile number, it was sent through the internet and I'm sure it was sent to me by mistake. It seems to be a little Easter rhyme though I got stuck on some words. It would be nice if someone could translate it:) Is it a typical Easter rhyme?
    I hope it isn't offensive, but it doesn't seem to be. If it is, I apologise in advance :oops:
    Thanks for your help :)

Hody, hody, doprovody
    ja jsem maly zajiiicek
    utikal jsem podle vody
    nesl pytel vajicek
    potkala me koroooptvicka
    chtela jedno cervene
    ze mi na hrst jet elicka
    ja ji rekl neneNe.

Za potokem u lesicka
    mam tam ztrycka kralicka
    tomu nosim kazdym rokem
    malovana vajicka!!
    Sleh, sleh, sleh, at mi neuschnes:)
    Copak jsem si vykoledoval?:)

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Hody, hody, doprovody (it's hard to translate - it's initial rhyme based on verb hodovat - which in this case means act of going with pussywillow and getting eggs for girl's whipping)

I am little rabbit
    I ran along water
    I brought sack of eggs with me
    I met little partridge.
    She wanted one red (egg)
    as exchange for handful of trefoils.
    I said no no no to her.

Behind stream near wood
    there my uncle rabbit lives.
    I bring him every year
    colored eggs.

Whip! whip! whip! - so you will not lost freshness.
    What I will get from you?

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Anyway, the most known "hodovačka" for me is this:

Hody, hody, doprovody
    dejte vejce malovaný
    nebo aspoň bílý
    slepička vám snese jiný.

Hody, hody, doprovody,
    give us colored egg(s),
    or at least white.
    Chicken will lay another to you.

4. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Thanks Eso :) so it was a little Easter rhyme after all, I had a problem with vykoledovat si which i couldn't find anywhere, I found 'flapper' as a meaning for 'koroptvicka' and I thought that eliska was a girl's name :) so a 'hodovacka' is a little rhyme to do with this tradition of whipping a girl and being given an egg in return?

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes - like carol-singing on Christmas or trick-or-treat on Halloween.

Another possible meaning of "hodovacka" is same as "pomlázka" - pussywillow stick with ribands.

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Koroptvička is small koroptev.

Eliska - in song is jetelíčka - from jetelíček (small jetel)

Just diminutives :)

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

This is pussywillow: [​IMG]

This is weepingwillow: [​IMG]

Are you sure pomlázky aren't made from weepingwillow? When my husband describe pomlázky, he seemed to describe a weepingwillow.

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Definitelly not from weeping willow (smuteční vrba). It's from pussywillow.

By this instructions: http://www.volny.cz/nohap/olomouc.htm - weeping willow is too fragile and it breaks.

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yep. Definitely pussywillow.

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Smuteční vrba (weeping willow) isn’t perfect (it’s too fragile), but it’s viable substitute.

I’m not sure what you mean with pussywillow. But Salix discolor is uncommon in the Czech Republic and vrba jíva (Goat Willow, Salix caprea) is too woody and therefore unsuitable (and in addition it’s a protected species).

The best for “pomlázka” is vrba košíkářská (Common Osier, Salix viminalis).

[​IMG]

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Hmm... that looks somewhat different from what I remember being shown as the ideal whipping branch. I'm guessing that there are varying ideas on which branch is best (perhaps it's all the same to the girls :) ).

12. dzurisova

I doubt it's all the same. Which ever hurts the least is preferred I'm sure. :)
    If I know Czech males, they don't stick to the spank softly rule. :wink:

13. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

My point was that it's likely not the choice of branch that determines the pain, but rather the arm that wields it. I have met some [edit: a few] Czech men, who adhere to the "token" spanking rule, but then again other Czech men I've talked to say that a token spanking defeats the purpose.

14. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well nowadays many people just will buy "final product" in shop or on market.

Maybe in villages some of them make them ourself, question is if in today's nature is enough of willow trees for it.

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

That cheating! Besides it takes half the fun out of it.

16. dzurisova

I called my stepdaughter's American boyfriend. When I told him that he gets to spank his girlfriend and in return gets a shot of Slivovice, he got quite excited. Especially when he found out there was nothing her Czech father could say about it. :wink: He also decided Easter would be the prime time to visit CR. :)