Cz-En "Ponechme stranou"

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by meda, Jun 21, 2007.

1. meda

meda Well-Known Member

Ahoj !
    Today I need your help again ...
    I tried to translate the following line (bold letters) but I could not. I don't know the meaning of them. I hope that someone help me ... please.

Ponechme stranou probíhající spekulace o přestupech a možných posilách pro další sezonu.

Is "Ponechme stranou" idiom or something like that ?
    Would you tell me the meaning of this ?

"probíhající "
    infinitive form is "probíhat" ??? (I guess I don't think so)

So how can I translate the bold letters part ?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

"Ponechme (něco) stranou" means "Let (that) aside"

"probíhající" - imperfective adjective of probíhat
    probíhající zápas - game which is in progress
    probíhající muž - man which run by

3. meda

meda Well-Known Member

Dekuji vam, eso.
    I have never known "imperfective adjective". I have to study Czech much more :)
    I will try to translate them again !
    Znovu, dekuji !

BTW your image is funny. ;)

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I hope it's right english translation.
    I found, that this kind of adjectives is named "verbal adjectives"

5. meda

meda Well-Known Member

tesi me a diky !
    I will try to check it in Czech grammer book :)

6. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

in addition to the ones eso gave for probihajici, other possibilities include "ongoing" or "underway" - as in "probíhající jednání" = "ongoing negotiations" or "the negotiations that are underway" - although it is actually just a synonym for "in progress", but to me it sounds better in some contexts in english....

7. meda

meda Well-Known Member

dekuji vam. meluzina! thank you for your help too. :eek:

8. meda

meda Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for a continuing question
    but I am in trouble again ... :(

Bude se nějak výrazněji lišit třeba od té loňské ?

I don't know the meaning of "výrazněji ".
    výrazněji inf = vyraznost ?

my translation is
    will it be somehow "clear" to be different from the last year's one ?

Do you think this is understandable ?
    if someone help me. I am very happy.

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Výrazně se lišit od - to be considerable different from

výrazně - considerable / substantialy / noticeable
    lišit se - to differ

Bude se nějak výrazněji lišit třeba od té loňské ?
    Will it be considerable different from last year's one?

10. meda

meda Well-Known Member

Oh výrazně is adv ....
    Znovu moc dekuji vam !!!!
    Many people will be Very happy with your translation !!!!

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

In English, we call this the "present participle," which usually is formed by -ing after the verb root. So perhaps a more literal translation (eso's translations are of course perfectively fine and understandable) of the above phrases is:

probíhající zápas - progressing game
    probíhající muž - man running by

The participle in English is usually used as an adjective. Similarly, there is a past participle in both languages (in Ehglish usually verb + "-ed"), presumably called in Czech the "perfective adjective" form and usually formed by removing the ending "l" in the singular past tense form and adding "v" (or "vse" for reflexives).

12. wer

wer Well-Known Member

This is impossible in Czech, because Czech is an inflective language. We have to modify it a little (to adjectivize it).
    In Czech there are two participles. The past (active) participle (l-participle) which (in the masculine singular form) ends in “-l” (dělal) and the passive participle (n/t-participle) which end in “-n” (dělán) or “-t” (bit).

The active participle is used in the past tense (dělal jsem) and in the conditional (dělal bych). The passive participle is used in the passive (byl bit, je bit, bude bit).

In Czech there is no present participle, we have transgressives instead of it. (Well, with some tolerance, we could say they are participles.)

The adjectives derived from verbs are called “verbal adjectives” (přídavná jména slovesná).

The present active verbal adjectives are derived from present transgressives (probíhaje/probíhajíc/probíhajíce → probíhající).

The past active verbal adjectives are derived from past transgressives (proběhnuv/proběhnuvši/proběhnuvše → proběhnuvší).

The passive verbal adjectives are derived from passive participle (dělán → dělaný).

This way you can create the masculine form of the past transgressive.

Do you think “-(v)še”? That has nothing to do with the reflexives. That’s the plural form of the past transgressive.

13. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

So, apparently, Czech and English speakers have different ideas of what "participle" means. Thanks for the clarification, wer!

Yes, of course, that was what I meant. :oops: Man, the longer I am away from the Czech Republic, the more my memory deteriorates!