(CZ->EN) Small SMS translation

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by superted, Jan 27, 2006.

1. superted

superted Well-Known Member

Hello again,

Would someone be so kind and help me with this message?

"Ahoj milacku udelam to protoze vim ze chci skoncit uz sem to probirala i v praci ale nejde to tak rychle jak si myslis pokud chci odejit v klidu a bez problemu musim to udelat pomali a jeste a chtela bych pochopit tebe a vsechno jak to se mnou doopravdy myslis dej mi cas miluju te"

Many thanks as always

2. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

My free translation :)

"Hello darling, I will do it because I know I want to end. I've solved it in the work, but it cannot be done so fast how you think. If I want to leave in peace and without problems, I must do it slowly and also I want to understand you and how you mean it with me. Give me some time, I love you."

3. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you mean by some of the czech version, because there is so little punctuation, but..
    Hello, darling. I'll do it because I know that I want to end it. I have been pondering it at work as well, but it's impossible to do it as quickly as you think. if I want to leave peacefully and without any problems, I'll have to do it slowly. Also, I would like to understand YOU and how you really feel about me (your intentions). Please give me some time. I love you

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I don't think we should be encouraging snooping in someones e-mail by translating letters like one above.

Do you really want to participate in break of the marriage/relationship by this, while writer can change their mind later deciding to stay with original partner? It is quite possible that she is just "playing games" with virtual person.

5. Kanadanka

That's somewhat unkind, since I have no idea what the person is talking about when they say "end it". Did it say somewhere this person is leaving a spouse, or some significant other? I simply helped to translate a letter, I pass no judgment on anyone - it's up to them and their conscience how they live and what they do.

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Kanadanka: My comment was nothing personal - didn't even look who was doing translation......
    It was impression I got from reading the above note in English. I realized that possibility not very long time ago, when I translated e-mail for someone who asked me by "private message" and he was obviously wondering what is his girlfriend up to.

All in all it was just a general comment to all - including myself.

7. Kanadanka

Perhaps we read too much into people's intents at times, when all they ask us is to translate for them. Good thing there is "free will" in the world; we can all choose to help, or not help based on decisions we make for ourselves alone.
    I stand by what I said - I don't "guess" what 's between the lines when I translate for someone. What they wish to convey is up to the original writer.
    And as far as not taking it personally, I think using the words such as "snooping" already sets a tone. How can one "snoop" into something that is publicly posted?

8. superted

superted Well-Known Member

Hi,

I`m sorry I stired up a little conflict with this one. If it helps put anyones mind at rest it has nothing to do with splitting up relationships. My girlfriend has problems at her job and wants to leave.

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Neil

9. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

magan, I know what you mean. However, I believe that a translator should always be regarded as a third party who's merely translating text. A translator shouldn't be burdened with the responsibility of judging the content of the text, figuring out what the author really meant, whether they were joking, what impact the translation will have on a relationship, etc. That's not the translator's business or obligation. I think it is the poster's responsibility to decide whether or not to post his girlfriend's private email or SMS on a public forum.

10. magan

magan Well-Known Member

:( "encouraging snooping in someones e-mail by translating letters like one above" :(
    "SNOOPING" belongs to posters in general, who want to know what is in the e-mail written to someone else.

I appologize, if traslator took my comment personally. I didn't realize it could lead to misunderstanding and hurt someones feelings.

You are right, Dana. It is not up to us to judge.