cz to english - ????

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by czechguy2007, Oct 1, 2007.

1. czechguy2007

czechguy2007 Member

what the heck does this mean?
    uz to bude
    tu bych te vy foukal driv ja.
    ty vole!

please help!

thanks

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Well I'll take a stab at it.

Ty vole is kind of a cut down. It's like "you dummy" or something like that. The exact translation is "you bull or ox" but my husband uses it toward his brother or friend when they do something stupid like spill beer on him. :)

The other I don't really know. I'm sure it's wrong but I would translate it as either:

uz to bude [yet it will be]
    tu bych te vy foukal driv ja. [now would you blew sooner than me]

or:

It already would be blown sooner than me.

But I know both are wrong because neither of them make sense. It will be fun to find out what it means. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

vyfoukat někoho means to make someone's hairstyle using a hairdryer or a stream of air in general
    (at least i can't think of a meaning other than that)

4. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

Už to bude!

Už za okamžik to bude!
    V momentě to bude!
    Hned to bude!
    Okamžíček! Hned to bude!
    etc.

It will be finished in a moment!
    It will be ready in a moment!

5. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

To bych vyfoukal dřív .

I should blow-dry you sooner.

I should have blown-dry you sooner (than he). = Vyfoukal bych tě dřív (než on).

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The word would indicates a hypothetical situation; could emphasizes an ability. While would is the most correct translation, more common usage in English (at least American English) is could.

The word sooner compares only the ending time, whereas faster compares the duration. Perhaps here the best translation depends on the original intent of the speaker. Literally, dřív = sooner, but still what is the main point of the speaker, sooner or faster? It's not clear to me.

Also, just an FYI, while blown-dry is perhaps more correct grammatically, most Americans would probably say blow-dried.

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

To me, the word sooner would compare to the beginning time. Meaning that the person doing the blow drying can begin sooner than the other person.

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

True, you could look on it that way, too, dzurisovak.

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

But only in English, in Czech we clearly differentiate the time duration and the time point using the aspects.

10. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Sounds like disharmony in the hair stylist shop.

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Right. We were speaking of the English translation. The Czech version has no ambiguity on that point.