Czech common lastnames??

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Kozoroh, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Kozoroh

Kozoroh Member

What are some Czech common lastnames? Any un-common ones also welcome :) I know here in America (In Spanish and English) most lastnames are derived from an occupation or object... sort of like "Smith", "Taylor" etc etc. In my case "Flores" (Flowers) shut up :oops: :lol: děkuji vám

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

The most common Czech surnames with approximate meanings:

1. Novák (newman)
    2. Svoboda (freedom)
    3. Novotný (new)
    4. Dvořák (coming from a farmyard)
    5. Černý (black)
    6. Procházka (walk)
    7. Kučera (curl)
    8. Veselý (merry)
    9. Horák (mountaineer)
    10. Němec (German)
    11. Pokorný (humble)
    12. Pospíšil (hurried)
    13. Marek (Mark - one of the apostles)
    14. Hájek (grove)
    15. Jelínek (little deer)

3. Kozoroh

Kozoroh Member

Very interesting. Thank you very much!

4. rhenium3

rhenium3 Active Member

Czech last names are interesting to me because they sound like last names in American children's books. A lot of them have meanings. Examples are Kočka (cat), Fialová (Ms. Purple), Polák, etc... There are some German last names as well that have no meaning in Czech whatsoever...

5. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

6. Bodast

Bodast New Member

Does Šmicer mean anything? :)

7. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Šmicer (= Schmitzer) is a German surname with Czech spelling. Maybe Passauer Mravenec could answer.

8. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

There is a listing of some Czech last names and their meanings in the September issue of the My Czech Republic newsletter that went out last week.

9. Bodast

Bodast New Member

Aha, German origins you say... Well, Vladimir Šmicer was born almost in Germany. Looks like it's a variant of Schmit/Schmidt then: http://www.serve.com/shea/germusa/surnames.htm

Thanks for your help!

10. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

Is the surname Bajčík derived from báje “fable, myth”?

11. bassgirltx

bassgirltx New Member

Hey i am new and my last name happens to be Novak. Thanks to whoever put Novak on there because I never knew that it had and accent or what ever you call it in czech over the letter a. If any one has any info on the last name Novak or has any info on Czech culture, landforms and/or economics and can put on here by tonight that would be great! I am doing a history project on in in school and i need some more info. And there isn't much on the web.

Thanks a lot

bassgirltx

12. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The "accent" is called a "čarka" (pronounced "char-ka"), and only serves to lengthen the sound of the vowel, rather than place the stress on the syllable (in Czech, the stress is invariably on the first syllable). "Novák" by the way means "the new person."

13. bassgirltx

bassgirltx New Member

Thanks a lot for your reply on the information on my last name that is a lot of help understanding that.

Thanks again to Sova!

Bassgirltx

14. T'om

T'om Active Member

How about Hosahova? Does anyone know of this last name?

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

As near as I can tell, the original surname was probably "Hošáková" (pronounced "Ho-sha-ko-va"). I'm guessing that the "k" somehow became an "h." Incidentally, there are 99 Hošáková's and 96 Hošák's (the masculine variant of the surname) in the Czech Republic, according the Czech Interior Ministry statistics' page.

16. jenny

jenny Member

i love czech last names!

i know each language has their on share of funny names but i always have a bit of a giggle when i think of two of my friends last names..... one being Nohavica=trouserleg and the other Holá=bald

hello there šarka bald

so good! x

17. T'om

T'om Active Member

How about the name Tatana Hosakova? How would you pronounce this name in English? I know that Hosakova would sound like Hoshahova... how would the T's sound in Tatana. Is Jana short for Tatana?

18. T'om

T'om Active Member

....and thank you so much for your quick reply too!!!! :D

19. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

"Ta-tya-na." No, Jana is not short for Tat'ana. It is a separate name.

20. wer

wer Well-Known Member

"Jana" is Czech form of "Joan".