Czechoslovakian language is English with accent. ;)

Discussion in 'General Language' started by eso, Nov 3, 2007.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Miami, the capital of Florida - dear gussie, that's a frightening thought :shock:

and to show my complete ignorance, I don't know if there are any official "states' or "regions" in the Czech Republic and, if there are, I have no idea what their capitals (if they have them) are. :oops:

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

inofficial:
    three "lands" (země): Čechy, Morava, Slezsko
    official see e.g. here

3. GlennInFlorida

neat!
    thanks much.
    (I did know about the three "lands" at least)

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

official:

* Jihočeský kraj (České Budějovice)
    * Jihomoravský kraj (Brno)
    * Karlovarský kraj (Karlovy Vary)
    * Královéhradecký kraj (Hradec Králové)
    * Liberecký kraj (Liberec)
    * Moravskoslezský kraj (Ostrava)
    * Olomoucký kraj (Olomouc)
    * Pardubický kraj (Pardubice)
    * Plzeňský kraj (Plzeň)
    * Praha – hlavní město
    * Středočeský kraj (Praha)
    * Kraj Vysočina (Jihlava)
    * Ústecký kraj (Ústí nad Labem)
    * Zlínský kraj (Zlín)

[​IMG]

5. GlennInFlorida

Thanks!
    I will study and learn. As I have said many times here, I hope someday to make Prague my home on a semi-permanent if not permanent basis. I think it is important to know as much as I can about the country.

6. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Čechy = Bohemia
    Morava = Moravia
    Slezsko = Silesia

the historical Silesia is nowadays divided between Czechia and Poland, the controversies about its division were the object of the conflict (Czech/Polish war, 7days war) between the new born Czechoslovakia and Poland in the beginning of 1919

7. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Glenn in Florida
    All the best with your plans to live in Čechách. You must have reallyy fallen in love with the place.

8. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

You have to be patient with us Brits!!

Living on an island does give rise to some funny ideas - for example, it is only in recent years that we have come to realise that you can actually drink tap water in mainland Europe!!!!!

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

You are not drinking tap water in UK? I actually prefer tap water, it taste better than bottled one - but it varies place from place. I hesitated to drink tap water in eastern countries like Ukraine, Bulgaria or Turkey, despite I am really fun of them. Just for sure.

10. McCracken

Drinking tap water is normal in England but many English people used to be hesitant about drinking tap water anywhere else in Europe.

I spent some time in Spain in the early 1970s as a kid and my parents were horrifed to know that I had been drinking tap water! Just old fashioned ideas, I suppose. It didn't harm my Spanish friends and it didn't harm me.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

But I understand it. I would not hesitate to drink tap water in France, UK, Germany, Austria (I read somewhere the best tap water in Europe is in Vienna), up there in Norway, Sweden, Finnland, but I would hesitate in the east, maybe in Spain, Italy, Greece... and in the east.

It is what I hate in czech pubs - 0,33l bottled water is same price as 0,5l beer. No miracle we drink the most beer per capita in the world - beer is the cheapest stuff in most pubs you can drink.

12. McCracken

But you have some of the best tasting beer in the world - why would you drink water in a pub;-);-)?

(I apologise that this has gone a little way off the original topic!).

13. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

The water in the pubs is more expensive(by the milliliter) than beer? That is funny. It's their way of encouraging you to buy the beer instead I guess.

14. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Beer (0,5l) - depends on place, but usually 20-25 CZK
    Bottled water (Good Water, Bonaqua, Rajec... - 0,33l) - 15-25 CZK
    Whatever from "Pepsi" (or Coca-Cola) - (0,3l or 0,25l) - 20-25 CZK
    Juice (0,25l or 0,2l) - 20-30 CZK

(all prices in normal pubs where I usually go, not those expensives)

Just for those unfamiliar with CZK, 1 USD = aprox. 19 CZK.