czenglish?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Leah, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Leah

Leah Active Member

Hi guys (and gals),

Doing some investigating on Czenglish, and was wondering if I could get your opinions, and/or translations of these terms that I've run into:

emailovat - Verb - to email
    vygoggluji - Verb - to Google
    kliknou si - Verb - to surf the web
    kliknout - Verb - to click a mouse
    klosovat - ? - close a deal

These are just some prelimanry words I've seen, and was hoping someone could disseminate these a bit further or to warn me that I am going down the wrong track! I am also interested your personal use of these and other words in the CZ, but I am in the process of writing up a survey while waiting for permission from the IRB board of my university..thanks a lot,

Leah

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Leah,

Interesting topic. I'm not sure about kliknou si (you probably meant "kliknout si") and klouzovat ("to close a deal"), but the other words you listed are commonly used in Czech.

to email - emailovat or, more commonly, mejlovat
    to google - vygooglovat
    to click (a mouse) - kliknout

Some other Czenglish words are:

chat (on the internet) - chat; pronounce [čet]
    to chat (on the internet) - chatovat [četovat]
    internet - internet or net
    on the internet / on the web - na netu / na webu
    website - web (this is confusing, but the word "web" is actually used in the meaning of "website" in Czech, not only "World Wide Web")
    portal - portál
    server - server [servr]
    to book (e.g. a flight) - zabukovat
    to manage (e.g. a department in a company) - menežovat (what a word! :shock: )
    team - tým
    leader - lídr (commonly used in the sense of "political party leader", even on national TV news)

The list could go on and on...

3. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

vikend - weekend. My Czech friends always use that in their emails to me :)

4. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

We don't have another word for Saturday+Sunday, I think :)

5. Kanadanka

I know, I find that really strange...
    maybe everyone should get their collective heads together and come up with a great Czech word for "wekeend"

6. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

We also have "konec týdne" (~end of the week) however it needn't mean exactly Saturday+Sunday (it can mean Sunday only, or Fri+Sat+Sun, e.g.). So we use "víkend".

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I'm also worry about using English resp foreign words in Czech. But in this case? Kanadanka, I think you are to puristic :wink:. For a long time 'víkend' is household word in Czech language and I think it seems naturally. And it's worldwidespread (terrible word - I hope in English there's this word :)). What I know it's also used in French, Slovak, Polish and German (yes, I know there's also 'Wochenende').

8. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

I found it interesting when speaking with Czech friends about fotbal (football) that they didn't realise that it was derived from the English words "foot" and "ball". They knew the ball part but when I explained that "foot" was noha, it was like a dawning of understanding.

9. Kanadanka

Wer, it has nothing to do with me being a purist - when I was little and living in Prague, we only had sundays off and people worked on Saturdays (I went to school 6 days a week, even when I was in Zahranicni Ekonomie - so we didn't need a word for a "weekend". And then the workweek became 5 days and suddenly there was a need for a new word - and nobody ever bothered to come up with it :)
    I am just surprised it still doesn't exist - even after 40 odd years of needing it