Difference between Czech and Slovak

Discussion in 'General Language' started by kitty, Aug 5, 2003.

1. kitty

kitty Member

what is the difference between Czech and Slovak? thank!

2. Kikko

Kikko Well-Known Member

The two languages are pretty similar, bue there are minor differences.
    For example, this is the singular declension of a masculine animate noun ending in hard consonant:

CZech
    Pan
    Pana
    Panovi
    Pana
    Pane/u *
    Panovi
    Panem

SlovaK
    Chlap
    Chlapa
    Chlapovi
    Chlapa
    Chlap*
    Chlapovi
    Chlapom

* nouns ending in k, h, ch take -u, the others -e.
    Slovak vocative instead, according to what I know, is like the nominative.

Many little differences, but anyway I guess isnt so hard to understand each others.
    My ex-girlfriend is slovak, we are still friends and in touch. She understands me well when I write her in czech

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Kikko (edited 05-08-2003).]

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

There are also differences in vocabulary. Many words are the same or very similar. Some words are completely different, e.g. "camel" in Czech is "velbloud", in Slovak "tava". Go figure!

4. kitty

kitty Member

thank you kikko

5. kitty

kitty Member

thank you Danna!

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

There are also differences in pronunciation - to Czechs, Slovak language sounds softer and more polite (and the Slovak language does not have that specialty of Czech - letter and sound "ř"). Contrarily to Czech, Slovak language is also influenced by Hungarian, namely in the southern part of Slovakia, close to Hungarian border. Slovak in the eastern part is affected by Ukrainian, so it different, too. The most correct Slovak is spoken in the region around Ruzomberok (central Slovakia).
    But in general, Czechs and Slovaks do not have problems to understand each other.

7. Candie

Candie New Member

Actually, they do! Young people and kids, who grew up in Czech Republic, not in Czechoslovakia, have problems understanding. A friend of mine has 6 year old son who can' t understand Slovak language at all. Strange, isn't it?

8. crossczech

crossczech Active Member

that is caused by the simple fact that children grown in czech republic consider slovak language as forreign (hence psychological barrier), and mainly that they do not hear it on daily basis as they used to during czechoslovakia times.

actually, as far as i know, more young slovaks understands (and learns to speak) easily czech then on contrary - i suspect TV influence. slovakian TV broadcasts e.g. movies in czech (dabbing costs...), one can tune czech TV in slovakia, but in czech TV slovak is very rare.

9. Katty

Katty Active Member

exactly. Im not very sure if I would understand everything in a slovak language now, cos I barely hear this language. But our languages are still quite similar, so every Czech should understand Slovaks...