Diminutives of Hana

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Adgie, May 18, 2006.

1. Adgie

Adgie Member

I have come across a number of diminutives for the name Hana, although I suspect that it is not a comprehensive list: --

Hanka, Hanča, Haňule, Hanička, Haňulka, Haninka, Hančí, Handa, Hanuška, Hanyška, Hanýžka

Please could you Hanas out there (or anyone else) explain what the differences are, and in what circumstances and by whom the various versions would/should be used.

Many thanks, in anticipation.

2. Master1

Master1 New Member

Hana is formal adressing and Hanka, Hanča, Haňule, Hanička, Haňulka, Haninka, Hančí, Handa, Hanuška, Hanyška, (Hanýžka WTF?) is familiar adress :wink:

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I guess Adgie knows this already..

Hanýžka is perfectly OK in some dialects. I would also put Hančí and Hanyška on the "dialect" list.

Hanka and Hanička are the most common versions.

Hanka is rather unformal adressing of a Hana than a diminutive.

Hanička is either a baby, your love or your daughter.
    Same goes for Haninka, Haňulka, Hanuška I guess, though these are much less common (I actually didn't know them). These four are much more "diminutives" than the rest, which are rather informal / familiar addressings.

4. Adgie

Adgie Member

Many thanks Halef for your comprehensive reply. I am much clearer now about the subject, which for a non Czech appears to be somewhat complex and potentially can lead to incorrect usage.

What dialects/regions would use Hanýžka, Hančí and Hanyška?

5. Master1

Master1 New Member

Hančí is used at Morava(Moravia)

6. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

my parents always called me Hanina - yet another diminutive form of Hana