Driving in Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Sisibel, Nov 12, 2007.

  1. Sisibel

    Sisibel Member


    I would like to know if there is a driver's manual or reference guide in english that includes the traffic/road signs and their meaning.

    I think that are the same signs that the other european countries, but we are americans and the signs are differents!

    thanks... :D
  2. Alexx

    Alexx Well-Known Member

    I found good web about it, but it is in czech only:


    So, look at them, and just post a code or link of those you do not know, and we will try to explain you.
  3. Sisibel

    Sisibel Member

    thank you! :D

    i will look at them, and if i need your help i will post my question :)
  4. eso

    eso Well-Known Member

  5. Alexx

    Alexx Well-Known Member

    There are some signs I have never seen on the road:


    And some are VERY rare.
  6. GlennInFlorida

    GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

    I like the second one - "you are about to run into a stack of lumber" :wink:

    Never would have guessed mlha (fog).
  7. kibicz

    kibicz Well-Known Member

    I wonder what is the triangular sign - "Atention teleport"?
  8. eso

    eso Well-Known Member

    How Glen correctly wrote, it means:
    Warning - Frequent fog ahead.
  9. pacific

    pacific Member

    Is it necessary to have an international or Czech driver's license? Or does Czech police acknowledge American drivers licenses?
  10. jen

    jen Well-Known Member

    If you have permanent residence (trvaly pobyt) you are required to get a Czech license. Americans cannot just exchange their license for a Czech one.

    If you have any other visa, you can get by with your American license PLUS the international license (available from any AAA branch in the US, or by mail - costs $10). But technically you can't get by with just your American license.
  11. pacific

    pacific Member

    Thanks for the info, Jen. Very helpful. I did the research on the International Driving Permit. Apparently one can send away for it from abroad through AAA. The fee is now $15. More info can be found on any DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) or AAA website.

Share This Page