Electrical adapters for CZ use

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Ink4u2, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

I am to understand that the USA has different voltage requirements in their electrical outlets than you do in the CZ. I have been given a bag of adapters to use for hairdryers, etc. but am uncertain which of the many in the bag would be the appropriate one to bring? Can anyone enlighten me on what sort of electrical adapter I would need to accomodate using a hair dryer from the USA over there? THANKS a lot!

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

This is possibly the most frequent question on this forum. :D

Use the forum search engine to find the related threads. Try “voltage” for example.

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

yes, do a search and pay particular attention to the difference between adaptor and transformer. If your appliance is not dual voltage (110v for US, 220v for CR), you will also need a transformer in addition to an adaptor (which only allows plugs to fit and doesn't change current).

4. gbgustafson

gbgustafson New Member

The useful convertors are 50W (camera power) and 1600W (hair dryer).
    Czech outlets are recessed 2cm and most commercial convertors [
    plug-adaptors ($1.00 each) are not convertors!] require yet another local adaptor to move the plugin location to flush [like US outlets].
    Convertors like the ones at the link below will not plug directly into the wall,
    due to the 2cm recessed location of the two round pins on 240v. The 50W
    convertors will also power a cheap unidex telephone handset, 24h a day;
    the standard US phone cable plugs directly into modern CZ telephone jacks.
    Local stores like Globus and Prior sell plastic connectors to allow the US
    made power convertors to plug into the recessed CZ outlet. Cheap plastic
    ones [$1.00] can be re-manufactured for this purpose using a saw blade or
    sharp knife.
    Travel hair dryers with 240v switch can be used with a $1.00 European
    plug-adaptor (US plugs into adaptor to make 2 round prongs Euro). The
    other hair dryers require a voltage convertor 1600W.

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/light-duty-voltage-converter.html

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

It may sound a bit odd but, if you don't have dual voltage appliances or don't need too many, you might consider just buying a cheap one (hairdryer or whatever) when you get over there. Many cell phone and camera chargers are dual voltage so you only need an adapter. Transformers (converters) can be pricey and you won't find much use for them back here. Since the frequency of the current is also different (50hz there vs 60hz here), even with a transformer, some things will run slower.

Another thought, I used to bring a whole bag full of stuff (toiletries and so on) but now I just hit the Tesco when I get in town - you can find everything you need and don't need to lug it through security and across the ocean. I usually just leave any small leftovers there or, if I do choose to bring them back here, put them in checked baggage. I carry a compact folded duffle bag with me - when I come back, I open it up, stuff it full, and check it (not as concerned about delayed luggage on the way back - if it is a day late, so what?).