EN > CZ - active killing

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by eso, Oct 19, 2006.

1. eso

eso Well-Known Member

What means phrase "active killing" in Czech?

Is "úmyslné zabití/zabíjení" right translation?

Thanks.

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

It's rather question for English natives but I don't think so.

As a form of euthanasia:
    Active Killing ~ úmyslné podání smrtící látky
    Withholding/Withdrawal Life Support ~ odepření/vysazení léčby

Both this is wilful, is'nt?

Why not simply "aktivní zabití/zabíjení".

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, this is little different situation:

Hunter found dead animal in forest (killed by another animal). He looked on blood and scraping on animal's body and said - "It was active killing".

A "aktivní zabití" se mi z hlediska češtiny moc nelíbí.

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

As a native English speaker, I'm not sure what the meaning of "active killing" is in your sentence, eso.

5. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

I guess someone's watching Lost here, right?
    :D

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yep! :) But not only watching, but creating Czech subtitles too :)

7. gementricxs

Nice, good for all viewers. Last time I watched a series with Czech unofficial subtitles and it was total crap. It was the last episode of Stargate SG1 so far, hopefully you didn't do the subtitles for that.
    How do you like the new season of Lost?
    Do you know the new series Heroes? It's pretty cool, even more exciting than Lost I think.

8. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

eso, I did a quick search on Google and it looks like wer is right about euthanasia - or withholding life support, medically assisted suicide, etc.

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

No, I didn't. Here are my subtitles for Lost 3x01 and 3x02:

http://vladimir.skach.cz/files/lost.s03 ... xor.CZ.srt
    http://vladimir.skach.cz/files/lost.s03 ... XOR.CZ.srt

Not bad so far. But we'll see.

I heard about it, but I haven't seen it yet.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, but assisted suicide among polar bears? :)

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I never saw the episode (or the series) but perhaps the actor was saying that another animal put him out of his misery. Like euthanasia, when a doctor puts a patient out of his/her misery.

12. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, i have English subtitles now and it's not "active killing", but "active kill":

And man says: "And It's an active kill, meaning that whatever was eating this is coming back for more"

Any ideas?

13. dzurisova

I would think that an active kill would mean that there was much activity/struggle during the kill. Especially, when he said it by looking at the cuts and scratches. Not that he will come back for more. But like I said before, I didn't see the episode so you may be correct.

14. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, that bold sentence is exactly from series.

15. dzurisova

Oh ok then. :)

16. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

LOL, oops, I didn't realize the discussion was about polar bears.

I looked and looked to find a definition of "active kill" and I was finally able to find this on some gaming discussion boards:

...an "active kill" is done via a firearm and knife. Such a kill requires the 'killer' to intentionally shoot or stab.

...a "passive kill" is done via a mine and claymore. That is, the explosive was laid, but beyond that the 'killer' did not per se target the victim.

I don't know if it helps at all with your bears but it might give you an idea. I think the important factor here may be "intentional" (to kill with the purpose of killing - e.g. for food) versus "unintentional" (e.g. in defense). Would the word kořist work in your context? As in "whatever was eating this is coming back to finish it"?

17. gementricxs

Oh, you have never seen Lost, dzurisovak? I heard it's so popular in US.

I think Dana is right, but I don't see reason why would the polar beer kill the wolf (or whatever it was) unintentionally, I guess they kill only for food.
    Would then passive kill mean that the wolf was killed if he would attack the polar beer?

18. dzurisova

Ok, this could get complicated.

Dana, passive and active can not be confused with intentional or unintentional nor can it be confused with self-denfense or murder.

An active kill would mean that the person took an active role in the actual killing such as stabing or shooting the person.

A passive kill would be an active role before the death, still causing the death (intentionally) but not actively doing anything during the actual death, for instance placing a mine in a field or a bomb in a car.

It's the same as "active aggression" or "passive aggression". For example, if I were angry at you and I yelled at you to your face that is active aggression. But if I called your phone over and over and hung up every time you answered just to annoy you, that is passive aggression. I hope that makes sense.

One is that I'm actively in your face causing your anger or death, the other is I'm more behind the scenes causing your anger or death. I'm more passive about it. But both are intentional and can be targeted to a particular person.

Also, when the Lost character says it was an active kill meaning he is coming back for more, be careful how you translate it. I don't know what kořist means but the character might mean that the creature is coming back to kill again not to finish eating the dead animal.

19. dzurisova

It is pretty popular here but I don't watch much TV. I work full-time, have 2 kids and I'm married to a Czech guy: which means I get home to do ALL the housework. :wink: :) :evil:

20. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Maybe it is about the difference between Czech words "vražda" vs "zabití". These word apply only to mankind.

Speaking about animals word "zabiják" (slayer/killer) might be of use: "pes zabiják" or "medvěd zabiják". It is animal who kills not for food but because it is "killer".
    So: "Byl to medvěd zabiják"