(EN->CZ) Could someone translate please

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by partczech1, Jan 14, 2006.

1. partczech1

partczech1 Active Member

Mummy

Blanka fixed Cindy and I dumplings Friday night. Not bad, but not like Mummy's.

Love John

2. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

Maminko, Blanka uvarila (vyrobila, udelala) Cindy a mne knedliky v patek vecer. Nebyly spatne, ale nebyly jako maminky
    Pac a pusu (they say that instead of "love")
    John (Jan)

3. partczech1

partczech1 Active Member

Thanks Kanadanka. :D

4. Doc Odine

Doc Odine Member

"jako od maminky" sounds better to me. "Pac a pusu" is a bit childish, but here it sounds ok. But I certainly wouldnt say "vyrobila" :D

5. Kanadanka

the "pac a pusu" is based on the choice of "mummy" for mom or mother -a form of title used by someone very young

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

My first impression when I hear 'pac a pusu' is stupid blonde speaking to her blow-dried poodle. :D

7. Kanadanka

well, my mother still uses it when she writes to me and she is a pretty intelligent, educated lady. It depends on how close you are to the person you are writing to. But then again, she also calls me "slunicko" , so maybe I should dye her hair blonde instead of chestnut
    Wer? Are you a native Czech speaker?

8. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Mothers often see their childrens as kids even when these "kids" are e.g. 30 years old :lol:. Thus it's not uncommon (at least in private letters).

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Kanadanka. First impression is often based on prejudice and I know it very well. Just a joke.

Yes, I'm native Czech (speaker).

10. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I would vote for :
    Love John = S laskou, John

Czechs do have a problem with word "Love" as it is usually taken seriously, while North Americans are using it all the time and practically in any, but business corresppondence. Czechs do not have equivalent of that, usually just "Zdravi John"= Greetings, John and only endearing and more intimate ending of the letter I can think of is really "Pac and pusu" which I used through the years in letters with my best Czech friend and with my family. It perhaps sounds juvenile, however "Love" (miluji te)sounds like everasting devotion with sexual connotation. It is nor really matter of words and translation but "feel" which it has in different cultures.

I am not blond, only Czech born, living overseas for almost 40 years.