(EN->CZ) No such luck

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by michal7, Feb 9, 2006.

1. michal7

michal7 Active Member

I need some help with these 2 expressions:

We had no such luck in finding this item for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions.

Thanks in advance!

2. Majkl vP

Majkl vP Active Member

I'll try it.

Neměli jsme při hledání této položky takové štěstí.

Prosím, neváhej a obrať se na mě, pokud budeš mít ještě nějaké další otázky.

Hope I've helped you. 8)

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, Majkl's translation is correct but the second phrase is informal and only for one addressee.

This version is formal towards one addresee and universal (=formal and also informal) for plural:

Prosím, neváhejte a obraťte se na mne, pokud budete mít ještě nějaké další otázky.

4. Majkl vP

Majkl vP Active Member

That's right. I promise I'll be more detailed. :)
    I was just wondering about the first sentence.. Though I translated it literally, I'm not sure of its sense - neither in English nor in Czech.. :hm

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm not sure too. I think in English the phrase "We had no such luck..." is formal and polite but in Czech the reference to luck is a little alibistic :wink:.

6. Majkl vP

Majkl vP Active Member

If so, then I'd say easily:
    Nepodařilo se nám pro vás tuto položku najít. I admit this translation is very free, but the sentence keeps on holding its original heart of idea. Finally, the collocation 'for you' is possible to be included. 8)

7. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

No such luck is the same as no luck, but as a response to a question:
    "Were you able to find the book?"
    "No such luck."

I don't think this expression really marks register, so it could be used perfectly well in a formal or informal setting. But now that you mention it, wer, it does sound like the speaker is trying to shift responsibility to "luck" when saying this. Ahh, set phrases. :D That said, I wouldn't try to translate it literally, unless a similar expression exists in Czech.

8. Majkl vP

Majkl vP Active Member

2 Ceit> Thank you for your explanation.. :)

Reflecting on what Ceit wrote here, I think the Czech equivalent meaning to the English phrase "No such luck" might be "Ani náhodou".. And then the translation may sound: Ani náhodou se nám nepodařilo tuto položku pro vás najít.

It's practically the same when I try to freely translate the short conversation at the very beginning of Ceit's contribution:
    "Were you able to find the book?" - Dokázal jsi najít tu knihu?
    "No such luck." - Ani náhodou.

9. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Do you think it's really Czech?? You're native, right? Would you say it? I don't think so. The sentence Ani náhodou se nám.... doesn't make sence in Czech, it's just the way you would never say it.

10. Majkl vP

Majkl vP Active Member

Nothing holds you back to express it better. You're as native Czech as I am. :cool:

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I disagree, it is meaningful but it is not equivalent to "No such luck".
    "Ani náhodou..." is something as "No way/chance...".

My best idea:

"No such luck" ~ "Ale bohužel" (word for word - "but unfortunately")

12. Majkl vP

Majkl vP Active Member

2 Wer> Maybe it's something between 'ale bohužel' and 'ani náhodou' :arrow: look at the short dialogue Ceit wrote and I translated later.. I fear we'll have to put up with a fact that 'no such luck' has no equivalent set phrase in Czech and must be translated variously within context.

13. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

I think the word luck in this context does not mean "favour of Fortune", but success or hit.
    It is usual in the cases when the result can have two values: hit or miss, success or failure. Typical example: searching databases.
    "No luck" could mean bez úspěchu (= no hit/no success).

14. MK

MK Well-Known Member

What about something like this:
    ---------------------------------------

Vážený pane XXX,
    (Dear Mr. XXX,)

POLOžKA: blah blah
    (ITEM: blah blah)

Bohužel Vás musím informovat, že se nám tuto položku pro Vás nepodařilo opatřit (or "nepodařilo nalézt").
    (/Unfortunately/ I should inform you, that we did not succeed in finding this item for you.)

V případě dalších otázek mne prosím neváhejte kontaktovat.
    (In case of further question, please do not hesitate to contact me)

S přátelským pozdravem
    Yours sincerely

Please note:
    opatřit/obstarat= get/procure
    nalézt = find ( you did some searching/seeking and you ..)

15. michal7

michal7 Active Member

Thanks for your professional response!