EN>CZ please, need ASAP for Czech visa& work permit

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Ktot, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

I have to go as soon as possible to the Consulate General of the Czech Republic in Chicago. One of the many documents I need is my birth certificate with a translation to Czech. Please help!

"Certificate of Birth

"This certifies, that according to the records of the Lake County Board of Health
    Name ____________
    Was born in ___________ on __________
    Child of __________ & ____________
    Birthplace of father _____________
    Birthplace of mother___________
    Record was filed ____(date)_____
    Book __(#)__ Page ___(#)____
    Issued _____(date)___
    ____ (signed)_______ Health Commissioner
    It is unlawful to reproduce this record."

In advance, thank you very, very much!

2. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

Well, this is my horrible, online dictionary guided translation....someone please let me know how horribly I messed up, so it can be fixed!

"Rodný list

To potvrdi, že podle archív z Lake County Board of Health (should I bother to translate this at all...like "Lake Kraj Správní Zdravotní" or some such?)

Jméno ___________
    Narodil se v ________ v dd.mm.yyyy
    Dítě z _________ & ____________
    Rodiště otců ______________
    Rodiště matek ____________
    Záznam zařadit dd.mm.yyyy
    Kniha # Stránka #
    Vydaný dd.mm.yyyy
    ______________ zdravotní komisař (capitalized or not?)

Je nezákonný ten záznam obnovit.”

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Sorry, my Czech's not up to it translating official-ese yet and anyway, I hate to say this but I don't think it's quite so simple. I might be wrong - as I'm from the UK, we don't have to bother with visas and the like - but I think you have to get such translations notarised or the Czech authorities won't accept it. I'm sure there are people out there who know more about it than I do.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but there must be people out there who know what you should do. How about asking the consulate who they recommend you approach to do the translation/notarisation?

4. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

Well, I got all of my information from the consulate website, which is pretty thorough in their information. It specifies when things have to be notarized, for the translation it simply says: "Enclose translation of your birth certificate in to the Czech language. If you don't know Czech ask somebody to translate it."

So in other words, it's fine. I'm not so much worried if it's in "officialese", just that it is decent, and will be understood and that it's not rife with grammatical errors.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Rodný list

"Tímto se potvrzuje, že podle záznamů zdravotního odboru okresu Lake County
    Jméno ....
    se narodil/a v .... dne ....
    Dítě ..... (otec) a ..... (matka)
    Rodiště otce .....
    Rodiště matky ....
    Záznam byl proveden dne ....
    Kniha číslo .... Strana číslo ....
    Rodný list byl vydán dne ....
    Podpis ........ (pověřený úředník zdravotního odboru)

Je nezákonné kopírovat tento záznam."

6. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Should be deleted, I was too slow.

7. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jana! :D

8. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

Thanks so much again; I just got my visa! Yay for not having to cancel a flight.

9. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it and sorry I unwittingly misled you. It's just that I've read so much about the problems people have with getting things notorised. That process must be for something else.