ENG to CZ translation if possible

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Prof, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Prof

Prof Member

Dobry den,

I am sending a postcard to a close friend and was hoping I could get the following translated in to Czech:

'Hey Little Miss Stunning

This is the third year in a row you've stood me up and left me stranded at the Millers Arms on my own. Next year, I promise!

Wish you were here.

Love

Prof'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Prof :)

2. hribecek

hribecek Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for the reply to this too, cuz I'm interested to find out how to say some of the things you asked for. Apparently it must be difficult for everybody because replies are usually quicker. Anyway, I'll give it a stab for fun. I don't know how to do the accents and hooks on my computer so it's without those..

Cau Kocku

Tenhle rok byl treti za sebou kdyz ses mi neukazala a nechala jsi me sam v Millerovych rukach. Pristi rok, slibuju!

kez bys tady byla.

mej se (Czechs wouldn't say 'love' when signing off in a letter and I'm really not sure what they'd say so 'mej se' is my best guess. Or maybe just a greeting like 'ahoj' or 'nazdar'.)

Prof'

I think my attempt is fine if you don't care too much about possible small grammar mistakes and awkward translations of some words, I'm sure she'll easily understand it, so if no native Czechs reply then give it a go.

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Hi, my best shot - problem is I don't understand completely exact meaning all of your expressions. For example - Next year, i promise - what exactly do you promise, when that choice is hers?

Ahoj, krásko. /this is more flirting translation, again I'm not sure in which way is your "Little Miss Stunning"meaned - like compliment to beautyful woman or like for child?/

To už je třetí rok za sebou, co jsi mě nechala čekat opuštěného na Millers Arm (this one? - http://www.millerscanterbury.co.uk/ )

Škoda, že tu nejsi (again - common english phrase "Wish you were here." has not exact common Czech equivalent) - Maybe - Chybíš mi (I'm missing you)

S láskou (again in Czech context - love means real love between man and woman)

Sorry I'm not more helpfull - there is really cultural difference. :)

4. Prof

Prof Member

Hi eso,

Little Miss Stunning is meant as a compliment to a beautiful women and next year I promise is inferred that next time I'm here she will be by my side.

Thanks for the rest of the translation though.

Prof

5. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

would this work???

.... co jsi mě nechala na holičkách čekat .....

why is it "na Miller Arms" and not "v Miller Arms" ????

and i don't think the pub's name should be translated, unless there is a definitely accepted translation of the name - and in this case, i don't think "arms" are "arms" as in the body part???? my guess is that the pub is named after the after arms as in "coat of arms" ????? erb in czech and if the pub in question is the one someone provided a link for, then miller is not a name by "mlynář" as in the miller profession.....

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

phrase "nechat na holičkách" means something like "abandon someone in need"

If it's pub, then you are right - "v Miller Arms". I looked on that page only briefly and I misunderstand that it's street or square.

7. meluzina

it's the "stood up" part of it .... the only thing i can think of is "vykašlala jsi se na me" = i know there is another better term - if you make a date with someone and they don't show up..... maybe that is why i thought na holičkach might fit - as it is basically leaving some one in expectation of something????

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I believe it's more like, when you don't help someone, who is in need. But I suppose it could be different by region.

My dictionary says:

to strand somebody = nechat na holičkách / nechat trčet ve štychu

9. meluzina

hmmm

my dictionaries show as nechat na holičkách
    - leave in the lurch; throw over; plant; fail; leave sb. in the lurch

http://slovnik.seznam.cz/?q=nechat%20na ... lang=cz_en

which could be serious or not

or

let down: zklamat koho, spouštět, podvést, snížit, spustit, zklamat, nechat na holičkách

http://slovniky.atlas.cz/default.aspx?word=letov%C3%A1

maybe i was just basing on the "stood up and stranded" part in english?? stranded more or less implies left on one's own and abandoned ....

10. meluzina

just though of "nechat na suchu" is that less extreme than na holinkach - it is probably the closest to "stranded" ??????

11. meluzina

reading my posts i am not coming across right - today is one of those days i should have just stayed in bed :(

i think what i am trying to ask - is it possible to use "na holinkach" in a facetious manner - like my interpretation of the way the english post specified "strand" - as it is to a close friend, it doesn't necessary have the same meaning as is the case of robinson crusoe - who was "stranded on a desert isle" - i think i've heard it used in this "semi-seious" fashion - like friends who don't show up, leave someone stuck somewhere, etc.

12. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I am a little confused by the letter too.

This is the third year in a row you've stood me up and left me stranded at the Millers Arms on my own. Next year, I promise!

I agree. The two sentences do not seem to go together.

either
    This is the third year in a row you've stood me up. Promise me, next time (you'll be there!)
    or
    This is the third year in a row I've stood you up. I promise, next time(I'll be there)

The ship sailed off and left me stranded(marooned) on this island.
    The taxi car driver drove off and left me stranded.

stand someone up...say you're going to meet someone and then not show up, leaving them waiting in vain.

13. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Unless he was dropped off there and the expectation was that she would give him a ride home.