fakt

Discussion in 'General Language' started by anu, Apr 17, 2005.

1. anu

anu Well-Known Member

in the movie paralelny svety to say something like: really? one person asks (if i understood right) "fakt?" and the other answers: "fakt!"
    is this common between czech people? and does fakt means fact?

2. metric

metric Well-Known Member

In my experience it's very common in casual speech. It seems to be used the way "really?" or "you're kidding" is in American English.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

And "fakt" really means fact. There is a story about a popular Czech singer who left CR after 1968 together with some members of her band. They got to London, excited about everything they saw and commented it quite often with "fakt, jó?" (expression of disbelief). Unfortunately, its pronunciation reminds a lot of an English expression (a very rude one), so they got into a lot of trouble before finding out what caused it.

4. martin [cz]

martin [cz] New Member

"Fakt" (both question and reply) is just slang for - "Really", "No kidding" ...
    And you can add "jo" which means "yes".

You can hear it especially among young people like: Fáááákt??? Fáááákt jóóó? :)

5. Katty

Katty Active Member

It can be also used when saying "thats really great" - to je fakt skvělý, that means really=fakt

6. Ir

Ir Well-Known Member

I really laughed a lot when I read Jana's story about the Czech band members wandering around London saying 'fakt'! at everything

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess 'fakt' is kind of colloquial Czech but it's in my textbook! :D I think you can say 'opravdu' as well

7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

You can say "opravdu, skutečně, samozřejmě, bezpochyby" (standard Czech), "fakt, fakticky, samo, samože, jasně, jasan" (colloquial Czech), and even "o tym žádná" (slang from Brno, so-called hantec).