Favorite Czech Beer - Light

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by My Czech Republic, Sep 7, 2005.

?

What's your favorite Czech LIGHT beer? (We will have a separate poll for DARK or BLACK beers)

1. Bernard (Humpolec)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bohemia Regent (Třeboň)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Braník (Prague)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Budvar/Budweiser (České Budějovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dačický (Kutná Hora)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Eggenberg (Český Krumlov)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gambrinus (Plzeň)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Holba (Hanušovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Hostan (Znojmo)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ježek (Jihlava)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Krušovice (Krušovice)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  12. Litovel (Litovel)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Měšťan (Prague)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Platan (Protivín)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Plzeňský Prazdroj/Pilsner Urquell (Plzeň)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Radegast (Nošovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Starobrno (Brno)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Staropramen (Prague)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Velkopopovický Kozel (Velké Popovice)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Zlatopramen (Ústí nad Labem)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Other - please tell us in a post in this forum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

Vote for your favorite Czech light beer! We have 14 solid Bohemians against 6 strong Moravian contenders (the town in which each beer is produced is in parentheses). If you don't see your favorite on the list above, choose "Other" and post it in this forum.

Na zdraví!

(You must be registered and logged in to vote.)

2. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

With regard the best beer vote could someone send me a case of each beer as soon as possible so that i can make an informed decision as to which beer i will vote for.

Wissy. :wink:

3. rox75

rox75 New Member

Vote for a beer:good idea!

4. haukur

haukur Active Member

my favorite beer is Svijany. But since that is not one of the "big brands" i'd say Kozel(from Plzen) or Krusovice

5. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

If you mean "Velkopopovický kozel" it's from Velké Popovice, not from Plzeň. BTW I attended the basic school in Velké Popovice :)

6. Ir

Ir Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer Gambrinus at 10 degrees - Plzensky Prazdroj is too watery or something (but fine at 12 degrees). I find it strange that Gambrinus is so widespread in CR, but impossible to find in Ireland, even though we have Plzensky Prazdroj, Cesky Budejovicky, Staropramen, Krusovice and a few other brands in the shops here. (also at about 5 times the Czech price)

7. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Hi! Fellow beer drinkers! :D

I'm an American from Michigan w/ Bohemian ancestory. This is my first post. So I was excited to see a vote for your favorite Czech beer soon after joining :D ! Even though I haven't had much exposure to Czech food or beverages, I have tried Rebel beer. There's a Polish restuarant near me in a small town. It's only open in the Summer :cry: . My family goes there at least once a year. They have a beer or 2,3 from each country around the world :lol: ! Last time I went I figured since I'm part Bohemian I should try beer from that part of the World. There was 2 options. I tried Rebel :lol: . I like it! It had a unique bubbly and tangy flavor, oddly strong and light at the same time. I try to stay away from strong beers becuase they can be very bitter. Is this an American thing or are other strong beers bitter. Rebel was not bitter at all :lol: ! I like it!

8. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Ladis wrote:
    We get Velkopopovicky Kozel here in London, but the label says it is brewed in Plzen. Maybe it is the export version?

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Kozel is really brewed in Velké Popovice (and in Slovakia, Hungaria and Russia) but this brewery is a part of company 'Plzeňský Prazdroj a.s.' That means Kozel and Plzeň share distribution.

10. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me, wer.
    It was confusing, because I always thought it was brewed in Velke Popovice.

11. Doctor When

Doctor When Guest

Seems like an appropriate place to remember my completely out-of-chatracter for the dark/light mix that seemed to be failry unique to the more mature Czech local - it was pronounced "Jez-arne" or "shez-annay" so I'm sure you can suggest the correct word... a half/half mix of dark & light beers.

As a beer purist, I was originally outraged, but grew to love it over the course of a fortnight! Is it still drunk? And am I right in thinking it's not really a young person's popular choice?

Reminds me of the time I asked for Rauchbier in Nurnburg - I got a double-take from mien host and told it was what "old men drink"!

[edit] PS: I had a quick sneaky vote for Eggenberg beer, as I spent a wonderful evening in the brewery tap in Český Krumlov, and although I can't remember the beer itself, I thought they deserved a mention for being so damn friendly there... And the castle had a moat full of hungry bears!

12. roibert88

roibert88 Member

kozel and staropramen are my favorite czech beers also saris is good its from slovakia

13. pierre

pierre Well-Known Member

my favorite beer is Gambrinus also Zlaty Bazant (Slovakia) is good. :roll:

14. Duludka

Duludka Member

And Kelt (Slovakia) is also very good

15. Cornflake

Cornflake New Member

I've not heard of many of these yet (but I hope to get well aquainted with them all when I visit in March :lol: ) but I have tried Staropramen and Budvar and both are excellent!

16. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

The czech word is "řezané pivo" and means simply "mixed beer", you can ask for it anywhere the dark and light beer is on tap.

17. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Great news! The grocery store in my town now sells Pilsner Urquelle! I am soooo happy! Just thought I would share my happiness. Everyone else is like, ok :roll: . I will try to get everyone I know to buy it so that the store will continue to sell it.

18. saillael

saillael Well-Known Member

My daughter's semester at Charles University resulted in a broad knowledge of Czech beer-ology (with no harm to her GPA). When I went to visit her in Prague, she shared her knowledge with me, and I must say that she was a good teacher.

I learned that Pilzner Urquell is light and crisp, but still full of nuanced taste. We are lucky enough to have it on draft at a pub here in Atlanta - an Irish pub!

I also fell for Kursovice and Staropramen (which we can buy in bottles, but haven't found on draft :().

But our favorite is Gambrinus which we cannot find here? Does anyone know if they export to America?

BTW for reasons other than its freshness, beer tastes better in Prague. I call it the atmospheric affect.

19. woyzeck

woyzeck Active Member

My favourites are Gamìbrinus , Stari Brno ( Crnie ) , Plenskiy Prozdoy , Staropramen, ......

20. brcek

brcek Member

Krusovice is the best :eek: